OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! Need a towing A-Frame to suit an ARB bar.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help! Need a towing A-Frame to suit an ARB bar.

G'day all.
    A mate had to abandon his (formerly) trusty GQ on a recent desert trip.
    He is planning a recovery trip next week and needs to borrow an A-Frame that will bolt to an ARB bar.
    Any assistance would be appreciated. In SA or Alice Springs would be good.
    Andrew - Whyalla, SA
    1999 GU ST 4.2turbo
    Lifted Locked and Loaded
    My photo website: http://touring4x4.com/Andrew/
    Travel & photography blog: http://www.touring4x4.com/blog/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,666 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bugga mate. Are you thinking of pulling from the 2 hoop points in the front of the car??
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be wrong, but I thought A frames were illegal.
    1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado ่ tratto

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, my bad -

Other important information about A-framing in each state

Certification :

NSW :

Persons contemplating the use of an A-frame towing device must obtain an engineering certificate from an RTA recognised engineering signatory

VIC :

“Unless the A-Frame is a proprietary item that has been designed and is appropriately marked as being suitable for the make and model of the towed vehicle, the A-Frames and connecting hardware, including the connection of the A-frame and safety chains to the towed vehicle, must be certified by a VASS Signatory.”

QLD : None

SA : None

NT:

Unless the A-Frame is a proprietary item that has been designed and is appropriately marked as being suitable for the make and model of the towed vehicle, the A-Frames and connecting hardware, including the connection of the A-frame and safety chains to the towed vehicle, must be certified by a recognised engineering signatory.

WA :

Obtaining the assistance of an Engineering Signatory to confirm that an “A”-frame towing vehicle combination and “A”-frame coupling apparatus meet the requirements of this Information Bulletin is recommended.

This bulletin provides a guide for the individual seeking approval for the simple (un-braked) “A”-frame towing of a small motor vehicle. Persons who wish to tow vehicles equipped with proprietary or individually constructed systems incorporating braking of the towed vehicle will need to seek advice from their respective Road Transport Authority.

Regarding A-framing in other states :

NSW :

“A-frame towing may not be acceptable in other states or territories. Owners should check directly with the relevant road authority of their state/territories requirement.”

VIC :

Persons who tow a registered motor vehicle in accordance with this information sheet will be able to tow legally in all States and Territories.

QLD :

Persons living in other states will need to check with the Road Transport Authority in which their vehicle is registered to determine individual state requirements for the towing of vehicles with “A” frames.

SA : None

NT : None

WA :

Persons who tow vehicles in accordance with this bulletin will be able to tow legally in all States and Territories. However, in order to ensure that potential problems with enforcement officers are minimised, it is recommended that a copy of this bulletin, together with any reports, approvals or other documentation, is carried in the vehicle at all times.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado ่ tratto

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NP99 For This Useful Post:

mudnut (27th September 2014), MudRunnerTD (27th September 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What is wrong with the vehicle? Exactly? Does he know anyone with Top RACV cover. Is so then ask them to go with him. They can have the vehicle Towed as if it is theirs. Very simple. I have it and if I came across a stranded vehicle I could call the RACV and have it towed for them.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Alternatively. Tell him to join the top cover of RACV tomorrow. Get up there next week and call them. It's not unreasonable tha he joined the RACV the day before he left for a big trip for just in case this exact thing happened.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Water pump let go, overheated and cracked the head. Its in the desert about 1000km West of Alice. Roadside assist aint going out there! LOL
    Andrew - Whyalla, SA
    1999 GU ST 4.2turbo
    Lifted Locked and Loaded
    My photo website: http://touring4x4.com/Andrew/
    Travel & photography blog: http://www.touring4x4.com/blog/

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AJoz View Post
    Water pump let go, overheated and cracked the head. Its in the desert about 1000km West of Alice. Roadside assist aint going out there! LOL
    No but they should pay someone to go get it... It's part of the deal

Thanks
    Thanked 8,045 Times in 3,197 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    No but they should pay someone to go get it... It's part of the deal
    I could be wrong but i believe it needs to be on a gazetted road.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes it needs to be a gazetted road. Assuming you can tow it on a 20m strap then that's what I'd do for the trip out of the desert then call the RACV. Get it to where they can help. Getting there with whatever it takes. Take everything out of it to lighten it up as much as you can and drag it out of there.

An A frame would not be useable in the desert anyways I would not think. Get someone with an Iveco 4x4 to drag it across or go hire one. Then RACV.

Good luck mate. Let the tyres right down and go for it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast