Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what Wattage do i have

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comparing your size to sizes of panels on ebay yours looks to be in the ball park for 200w. I expect that panel sizes for a nominal wattage will vary a little, depending upon manufacturer , panel type & panel efficiency.

200w 1460mm x 940mm = 1373400 sq mm
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200W-SOLA...item5669fe4a3e

200w Your panel
    1200 x 1000 = 1200000 sq mm

200w 1320 x 990 = 1306800 sq mm
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200W-Mono...item4187aa1665

It is possible your panel is either more efficient or a bit less than 200w

Also possible that your mates 250w is not 250w.

There have been panels sold on ebay & elsewhere that are lower wattage than advertised.

Only real way to check is to set up both panels, connected to a discharged battery & measure the amps being fed into the battery. Needs to be done at the same time so sun condition is the same for both. This will tell who’s panel is putting out the most. 200w should be capable of around 11.6 amps & a 250w around 14.5 amps (both figures + or minus a bit).

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheers guys

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dakka1 View Post
    cheers guys
    Ah but you’re not getting away with that, we wanna know the outcome of the two panel shootout. LOL

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so far the out come is his is a 240 watt but its actually a fold away panal both measuring 1 meter giving him 2m over all. surely that's gotta be more then 240w if mines supposed to be 200w at 1.1x1.2??

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So to add to this debate.

Allot of guys are running 120w panels and a few running 180w setups which seem to be ideal. I am keen on a 180w setup. On the Simpson trip AB had a 180w setup he setup for 1 day at Dalhousie. He was running 2 fridges and one of those as a freezer. He ran his travel buddy oven a few times and he had Sh1t loads of power.

200w to 240w I would have thought was plenty Plenty and more than enough for pretty well everyone. I reckon your mate wins who's is better just because his is a fold away so more compact to travel with. Has his got more power???? Your both over 200w so who cares I reckon.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    So to add to this debate.

Allot of guys are running 120w panels and a few running 180w setups which seem to be ideal. I am keen on a 180w setup. On the Simpson trip AB had a 180w setup he setup for 1 day at Dalhousie. He was running 2 fridges and one of those as a freezer. He ran his travel buddy oven a few times and he had Sh1t loads of power.

200w to 240w I would have thought was plenty Plenty and more than enough for pretty well everyone. I reckon your mate wins who's is better just because his is a fold away so more compact to travel with. Has his got more power???? Your both over 200w so who cares I reckon.
    That was the Bosch panel that cuppa suggested a while back on Ebay.

Since the Simpson I have used it to run ovens, blenders, multiple fridges and charging all sorts of batteries on my brothers property for tractors, etc.

It's one of the best investments I have bought!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post

Since the Simpson I have used it to run ovens, blenders, multiple fridges and charging all sorts of batteries on my brothers property for tractors, etc.

Any links you can throw up for the one you got AB? Does the Bosch cells really make much difference in the efficiency? Or is it more in the way the cells are connected etc?

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post

Has your panel got this symbol on the cells ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sooty_10 View Post
    Any links you can throw up for the one you got AB? Does the Bosch cells really make much difference in the efficiency? Or is it more in the way the cells are connected etc?
    There are differences in a quality cell compared to a cheaply made one, my mates panel has a difference of little under 2amp less compared to mine and they are both 120w and that's using the same reg for the comparison.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to megatexture For This Useful Post:

sooty_10 (4th October 2014)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12