Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry GU door locked, trim removal??

Hi Folks,

My 2003 GU driver’s door is stuck closed. The central locking mechanism flicks the switch on the inside, but the door won’t unlock.
    The key also doesn't unlock the door.
    It failed a couple of times in the last few months but fixed itself so I just ignored it ( ) - I’m now regretting that decision.

In an effort to save time I called a mechanic/locksmith today to try and open the door, but the best suggestion he could come up with after inspecting the door and pulling the internal handle off, was hacking through the door trim. Needless to say i was not in a rush to let that happen.

So… How do I get the driver’s door open without being able to open the door? I’m getting really tired of climbing over the passenger seat.

(Nissan are quoting $700 just to replace the central locking mechanism in the door - assuming that's what it is)

Thanks folks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the other site mate, there are pictures and explainations that might help you. Cheers.
    1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado è tratto

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    With someone holding the door handle open, give the inside of the door, around where the catch is a shove with your foot. Or try removing the handle that you pull the door shut with and see if you can get your had in there and spray some crc over the mech. If you get it open, remove the door trim , remove the mech, clean it up and lube the shite out of it. I could just be the rod has jumped off the mech...If you need a new door mech let me know. But I would go to a wreckers for that. Never heard of those failing...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you put the key in the door and turn it firmly to the right while lifting the handle at the same time it may work.
    1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado è tratto

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also fidgeting with the snib to lock and unlock may help it un jamb

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No such luck so far.
    i've removed the inside handle from the door trim and pulled and twisted it, which seems to lock and unlock the other doors, but not movement getting the driver's door open.

i also pulled top of the arm rest off but that doesn't really expose anything.

if i can't figure it out over the weekend, i may have to resort to the hack. very frustrating!

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DSPIES View Post
    No such luck so far.
    i've removed the inside handle from the door trim and pulled and twisted it, which seems to lock and unlock the other doors, but not movement getting the driver's door open.

i also pulled top of the arm rest off but that doesn't really expose anything.

if i can't figure it out over the weekend, i may have to resort to the hack. very frustrating!
    Is there enough room to see if the mech is moving?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No not really.

I've had no luck with it so off to the locksmith tomorrow.

I actually think i snapped the back of the door handle yesterday so i've made it worse.

Very frustrating!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drop this in here too,

As the trim removal is part of the mirror change out and old mate presents it nice and eazy
    2005 Y61 GU rebuilt 2020. 6.5 L turbo inter-cooled Diesel, SupENG Superflex 4 Inch Lift Kit 2,0 Remote res Fox shocks, offset trunions, 315/75/16 Maxxis Razr, 16 x 8 steel rims, SupENG drop box, Stedi Spots & bars, 12000 lbs winch,rear locking bars with duel tire carriers, 4” XtremeENG S/S snorkel, rock sliders, SME UHF, ARB Hard mount Air compressor, ARB fwd & rear air lockers,Rhino roof racks, Duel battery set up, 12 V dist swbd ,

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Truckus For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (15th February 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckus View Post
    Drop this in here too,

As the trim removal is part of the mirror change out and old mate presents it nice and eazy
    Nice little vid on how to strip a door. I dont think much of using the screw driver rather than a trim removal plastic tool. Brutal.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast