Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats best, Bearings, Guides or Wood for Drawers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats best, Bearings, Guides or Wood for Drawers

Im heading out tomorrow to buy my plywood for my draw plans ive been working on, the only decision I have left is to go either Bearings, Guides, or simply wood.

If I do wood me Mrs will be upset cos she recons she will get sick of dragging them in and out, and since Ive shown her rollers shes fairly certain its what she wants

Below are my thoughts and please note this is my first build and experience with drawers so it all only IMO and open for your thoughts to add any pros or cons

Bearings
    Pros,
    Slide like roller blades
    stronger?

Cons
    Can rust
    Dirt,Dust,water,
    Noisy
    More pieces (Breakdown)
    Hard to fix,replace
    Space consuming
    Heavier

Guides
    Pros
    Thinner than roller bearings
    Easily replacable
    Lighter in weight
    Self locking (if wanted)
    Can use for fridge slides
    Can mount under drawer not just sides

Cons
    many cheap brands
    Not as strong as Bearings ??

Well there's my quick thoughts feel free to throw yours in, Id be interested to see what other pros cons there are

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on your budget.
    My draws use sorta a half way idea. It's a complete 12mm ply wood system but the draws run on a nylon type product called uhmw. A thin peice attached to the draw, then another to the frame. Slides like butter, no oil needed, and my draws fill 98% or the frame unlike rolled where you need a 16-20mm gap.
    It's all detailed in my draw build
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

Smoothrun (24th September 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I would be using marine ply, cause sometimes the back of
    your Patrol will get wet from river crossings or bog holes.
    I don't think rust would be a big issue.
    It all about your budget in the end
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

6. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have seen Marine ply recommended many many times all over the internet by heaps of people.

I reckon it's rubbish. Marine ply is 19mm and bloody heavy. We are not driving submarines. There is simply no need to go to that much trouble. I have made a few sets of drawes and am a cabinet maker in another life. 12mm drawers and body and 15mm top is Heaps. Less even.

Ply will be fine getting wet for a short time. The water has no time to soak in if it got wet and then drained again. Believe it or not even MDF will handle that guys! If your really concerned then paint all the end grain before you put the pieces together. Then glue and screw. Screwing it together will really dictate that 12mm is the thickness as 9mm might be a bit thin to get a screw into.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (24th September 2014), Smoothrun (24th September 2014), Winnie (24th September 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think one of the advantages of using drawer slides is that you can get locking ones that will lock in/out, and that's what I did for the drawers in the back of mine. I found UES in Dandenong to have good pricing and quality slides.

And Mudrunner, I am a bit confused? Marine ply is available in multiple thickness's! It is certainly heavier than the normal hoop pine ply and with all the hoop pine plys now using waterproof glue so they are quite water resistant. In my opinion the difference is more about marine ply being harder wood, screws gripping better and the face's have a superior finish.

That being said, I used a amerind product called lighta ply, which is as the name mentions very lightweight (but not as strong/stiff) and is commonly used in the caravan industry. I found it quite good and my drawers are very very light, however it is quite soft and next time I would probably use marine ply instead.
    GQ highmount, lockers, barwork, 3-Link front, long arms, V8, cage, duct tape, cable ties and 35's

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Crate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crate View Post
    I think one of the advantages of using drawer slides is that you can get locking ones that will lock in/out, and that's what I did for the drawers in the back of mine. I found UES in Dandenong to have good pricing and quality slides.

And Mudrunner, I am a bit confused? Marine ply is available in multiple thickness's! It is certainly heavier than the normal hoop pine ply and with all the hoop pine plys now using waterproof glue so they are quite water resistant. In my opinion the difference is more about marine ply being harder wood, screws gripping better and the face's have a superior finish.

That being said, I used a amerind product called lighta ply, which is as the name mentions very lightweight (but not as strong/stiff) and is commonly used in the caravan industry. I found it quite good and my drawers are very very light, however it is quite soft and next time I would probably use marine ply instead.
    There you go, I have only ever seen Marine ply in a 19mm commonly found at Bunnings and alike. I just think its over rated for our application. It is nt going in a boat that requires ongoing submersion. Water will only damage if it has time to soak in and swell the veneers. A coat or paint will fix that

I highly recommend lining the inside of your drawers with carpet as it will limit the rattles from inside the drawers.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made my draws 12 years ago and the top is just a standard ply covered in carpet, I put wet scuba gear on it!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crate were you talking about marine ply or form ply ? Form ply has the black coating

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No not talking about formply, hoop pine ply or structual ply is generally C/D or B/C face quality, marine ply is A/A face quality. Form ply with the black plastic coating is different again and that is available in only 17/19mm thicknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    Plywood face veneer qualities

Plywood comes in a variety of face veneers for both decorative & non decorative uses.

Mister Ply&Wood stores have a range of face qualities available, from AA appearance grade & Marine Plywood to CD, DD & Pallet grade plywood.

Plywood veneer face quality "A" grade

A Grade Face
    Veneer quality "A" has an appearance grade face with no visible defects. "A" grade veneer faces are suitable for clear finishing. Suitable to be used in applications where surface decorative appearance is a primary consideration.
    Species include Hoop Pine & Marine Ply.

Plywood veneer face quality "B" grade

B Grade Face
    Veneer quality "B" has an appearance grade face. B grade veneer faces are suitable for high quality staining and paint finishing. However small, sound knots are allowed in a B grade face. Plywood species include Fijian Cedar, Hoop Pine, Kauri Pine and Radiata Pine.

Plywood veneer face quality "C" grade

C Grade Face
    Veneer quality "C" is a non-appearance grade face with knots and defects filled. C grade veneer faces are for applications requiring a solid non decorative surface.
    A CD plywood sheet has a face veneer quality of C grade & a back veneer quality of D grade.

Plywood veneer face quality "D" grade

D Grade Face
    Veneer quality "D" is a non-appearance grade face where limited knots are defects are permitted. D grade veneer faces are suitable for applications where appearance is not important such as structural purposes.
    A DD plywood sheet has a face and back veneer quality of D grade.
    GQ highmount, lockers, barwork, 3-Link front, long arms, V8, cage, duct tape, cable ties and 35's

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (In my opinion the difference is more about marine ply being harder wood, screws gripping better and the face's have a superior finish.)

Im with you on that crate, it is more heavier yes, but it does also create greater security than normal ply when locked up, yep theyl still get in if they want (just as much as any steel ones) but its more about making it harder/longer to break in, (gives me time to load me gun lol) I intend on carrying some pretty expensive stuff in mine so im certainly looking at doing 19mm top, uprights and drawer faces. Ill do 12mm base and draws.

UES, I just looked em up, theyre just around the corner from McNaughtans, did you price theirs out, Ive looked on their site today and only seen 60kg and 225kg slides, 60kg right on the boarder for me and 225kg will hold pigs up. im hopin for more like 100kg, ill check em out tomorrow

thanks
    Last edited by Smoothrun; 24th September 2014 at 06:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast