Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Td42 cooling system pressure.

Hello how are we ?,

Iv just got my td42 running and im noticing that the cooling system has a lot of pressure in it, seems more than usual. I have bleed the system, has a genuine Nissan thermo stat and cap. water pump is new and so is the radiator.

The car isn't over heating or blowing coolant out of the over flow or anything like that. it sits between 80-85 degrees all day.

Do your TD42's have a lot of pressure to the point where the rad hoses are fairly solid ?.
    Workshop manual sais the thermostat starts to open at around 83 degrees and doesn't fully open until 95. mine is no where near that

any info would help

thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Marti, your cooling system pressure is regulated by your radiator cap, from memory it should release between 13 and 15 psi, as you have just replaced the cap with a genuine part I would not be too concerned, at operating temperature your hoses should feel reasonably hard. If you are still concerned, your manual will tell you the release pressure and you can verify by pressure testing your cap. If you don't have a radiator pressure test kit a radiator mob would be able to test it for you. Hope that helps. Cheers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Marti.
    Your personal details page doesn't tell us much about you or your wagon. Bit more would be interesting and helpful.
    IF it ran well before you 'just got it running' and it has a temperature guage, what was it before it was pulled down?
    Fully bled of air and an accurate cap you may well be on the correct running temp. even if it seems high. My 2008 3.0CRD runs at about the middle of the guage which seems a bit high compared to my old 4.2 non turbo but the manufacturer can put the low/medium/high at any place he wants. From memory, Suzuki put a graduated temp. guage on one of their rocket bikes once and the punters panicked at the high numbers. The answer was to take the numbers off and put a red mark at the top end.
    Just for ease of mind, if you know the operating minimum temp., put the cap in one of the wifes saucepans on the stove, run it up and use a thermometer to see the temperature at which it opens. Used to work and I reckon it still should. Don't tell the wife though, they're funny creatures.
    Luck,
    Col

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it was a TB42 petrol motor. iv just built a TD42 and done the conversion. im comparing it to other cars. a lot of people seem to think its normal. as it doesn't over heat, doesn't spit coolant into the over flow bottle or anything like that. my after market temp gauge sais 80-85 degrees so it seems normal

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taken a while to get back Marti but I reckon it's running as should be.
    Diesels by their very nature will run hotter than petrol.
    Reckon it's good,
    Col

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awsome, yeah i was starting to think that, temps are good, doesnt spit coolant or anything