User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nissan patrol td42 automatic transmission overdrive problem

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys, I Bught my first 4x4 about 12 months ago. It's a 92 GQ TB42E auto wagon.
    I was told it had a reco box in it, I worked with the guy I bought it off & overdrive worked perfectly for about 6 months. He was a concreter & always towed a big tandem trailer so I can see why he would have fried the original auto. One day I was driving down the road @ 100K's & it basically slipped back to 3rd @ 2800rpm. It started out as an intermittant problem, pressing the OD switch once or twice would let it shift up. It did this for a week or so before it stopped working. The strange thing is 4th is there when you back off but as soon as you put the power back on the revs pick straight up to 2800rpm. The oil is nice & clean & from the day I got it it would shift into 4th even from cold @ about 60km/h. The other thing I've noticed is that my fuel ecconomy seems to be better for not using 4th. I don't generally go on big hwy trips but did a few weeks back (had no choice) & used 3/4 tank to do 390k's in 3rd.
    From reading the rest of this post I think my problem could be the broken temp sensor wire. What do you guys think?

Bjorn,
    92 GQ, TB42E, Auto, Wagon, 3" lift

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,868 Times in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Bjorn, there's quite a bit of info here about similar problems. Use the search button (top right of the screen) and hopefully you will get a few ideas to try. Some common problems are the Throttle Position Switch or the temperature sensor failing (not just the wire) in the transmission.

tappa slappn about
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Acko View Post
    Hi guys, I Bught my first 4x4 about 12 months ago. It's a 92 GQ TB42E auto wagon.
    I was told it had a reco box in it, I worked with the guy I bought it off & overdrive worked perfectly for about 6 months. He was a concreter & always towed a big tandem trailer so I can see why he would have fried the original auto. One day I was driving down the road @ 100K's & it basically slipped back to 3rd @ 2800rpm. It started out as an intermittant problem, pressing the OD switch once or twice would let it shift up. It did this for a week or so before it stopped working. The strange thing is 4th is there when you back off but as soon as you put the power back on the revs pick straight up to 2800rpm. The oil is nice & clean & from the day I got it it would shift into 4th even from cold @ about 60km/h. The other thing I've noticed is that my fuel ecconomy seems to be better for not using 4th. I don't generally go on big hwy trips but did a few weeks back (had no choice) & used 3/4 tank to do 390k's in 3rd.
    From reading the rest of this post I think my problem could be the broken temp sensor wire. What do you guys think?

Bjorn,
    92 GQ, TB42E, Auto, Wagon, 3" lift
    Hi mate, unfortunately it could be a few different things that has gone wrong, matter of elimination.

If I was living in VIC, I would be taking it to Wholesale Automatics.

I know some that have said they get better fuel consumption when they are giving it a boot full than what they get driving sensibly
    Last edited by NissanGQ4.2; 29th October 2012 at 06:37 AM.
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brilliant link, will send to Russian boys,great and thanks

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi I have a 96 GQ auto diesel that is no changing past 2 gear does any one know if the computer is the same in the petrols and diesel models

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny coaster View Post
    Hi I have a 96 GQ auto diesel that is no changing past 2 gear does any one know if the computer is the same in the petrols and diesel models
    hey mate go to the intro section first and tell us abit about yourself and your patrol
    then you will get a better responce here is the link
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...-Introductions
    2007 GU 6 /ST-L / MYO8 / DIESEL/AUTO /MOONSTONE /pro vent 200
    OH LEATHER IS NICE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12