Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Information on TB42s extended rotor button

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just replace my rotor button an it still pops will have to get 1 of these. Thanks for the info.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timbar View Post
    i Need one of these babys can I get one in Perth ?????

Schultz Auto Electrics in Willetton do up the extended rotors. Either take your car in or your dissy as they will make a rotor button to suit your cap! I was quoted $50. Waiting on getting my pertronix kit and coil before I get the rotor button.

Might even be an idea to get a new cap before getting the rotor made up. Hope this helps.

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found that this extended rotor button decreased the miss, but at the same time power fell away.
    I put this down to less spark, the smaller the gap the less power is created to jump the gap.
    and if you have a smaller gap at rotor and plug, power/spark energy drops, so I found getting a compromise here a matter of a few attempts at setting, and threw the ext rotor in spare parts container for emergency use. The engine never had the same power/torque with it fitted.

And here's a few tips.
    Reason plug gap needs to be smaller for LPG, its dry, a wet mist from petrol aids the spark to jump the gap and hence the gap required needs to be wider for petrol, also to stop it drowning the spark.

I also run pertronic and iridium ngk 1 range cooler, swear by ngk, and think iridium's fine design also opens up the end of plug to expose the spark, and then there's the benefit of less maintance.

Also from memory pertronic say not to use HEI as it can damage pertronic unit.
    The reason for running 1 range cooler is, LPG runs hotter as we know, so this aids to keep plug temps down.
    don't let someone tell ya this equals less spark, this is not true, a cooler plug dissipates its heat better into the cylinder head, and a hotter plug physically stores more heat within its body. Hence the reason a car-boned up plug will create run on simply by the heat stored in the carbon deposits.
    I've got 2 yrs out of this tune so far, think what I'm doing is on the money, but every engine behaves differently.
    this on ngk's web site from memory about the heat business.

hope this helps.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:

jasonwoodland (16th February 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will definately be buying one for mine, thanx ;P

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just fitted the extended rotor button to my 93 maverick on straight petrol only and I can't believe the difference. The old button was a bit shagged too but with this new one it's driving so much smoother and idling smoother. Definite increase in power and smoother acceleration.

Money well spent! Thanks for the info!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are definitely worth spending the money on - car runs so much smoother and revs a lot nicer as well. And so easy to install!!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it better to get one of these or the Pertronix electronic ignition conversion kit?

ckh
    Made my own up so now there is only about a 1.5 to 2mm air gap in the distributor, has not improved performance or power or economy, but certainly reduces the load put on the coil, noticed the coil running much cooler, still get hot to the touch, but before making my extended rotor button, could not touch coil for ages after stopping the car, was still very hot even 45 min+ with out motor running, so coil running cooler must be a good thing if nothing else may extend the life of my coil....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123