User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Warn High mount install into ARB bar

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here's a pic of where mine are, mind you it's in a GU. I will end up labelling in/out one day
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sooty_10 For This Useful Post:

Rossco (8th September 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Sooty, I've got a Carling switch for the cab which I hope works well. Haven't quite got the bar end sorted yet, was thinking some of the ones like Darren's - a couple of momentary on's. I have seen them in the headlight surround before as well, look quite good there.

Solenoid arrived today and looks pretty straight forward to wire up. Has any one got any ideas of a good place to get good cable for the winch, and also terminals that don't require a bloody expensive tool?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,495 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Cheers Sooty, I've got a Carling switch for the cab which I hope works well. Haven't quite got the bar end sorted yet, was thinking some of the ones like Darren's - a couple of momentary on's. I have seen them in the headlight surround before as well, look quite good there.

Solenoid arrived today and looks pretty straight forward to wire up. Has any one got any ideas of a good place to get good cable for the winch, and also terminals that don't require a bloody expensive tool?
    I bought a crimping tool off eBay for $60 and am stoked with it mate! Highly recommend buying one. You will get the cable from a good WeldinG shop. 50mm2 at least. I am running 70mm2. I also recommend linking the 2 batteries under the bonnet with a hot wire and isolating switch so you can link them when your winching. Works great.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hydraulic...8463e21&_uhb=1
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 8th September 2014 at 07:55 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,415 Times in 6,257 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Cheers Sooty, I've got a Carling switch for the cab which I hope works well. Haven't quite got the bar end sorted yet, was thinking some of the ones like Darren's - a couple of momentary on's. I have seen them in the headlight surround before as well, look quite good there. Solenoid arrived today and looks pretty straight forward to wire up. Has any one got any ideas of a good place to get good cable for the winch, and also terminals that don't require a bloody expensive tool?
    Go and visit the local sparkie and he will crimp them for you, he would only charge if he was a tight ass! haha

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE!!

Been a bit busy and slack lately but finally got the winch wired up.

After much indecision I decided to go with my original plan and mount the solenoid (solid state) under the bonnet. I originally planned on putting it here but was also thinking about mounting it on the end of the winch motor. The motor bolts line up with the brackets on most solenoids. The advantage of mounting it here is that you need less cable as you only need the positive and negative running from the battery. I however decided to leave it under the bonnet, looks a little neater and also only has a short section of cable that is live all the time.

P9270004.JPG

Winnie managed to sort me out with some cable, lugs and heat shrink. I used 70mm2 cable, which is huge, no chance of loosing any current with this stuff. Used 7m in total and just had enough. I realised we had a crimper at work for stainless balustrading which worked perfect.

P9270008.JPG

P9270009.JPG

P9270011.JPG

P9270005.JPG

This is how much cable I had leftover!!

P9270006.JPG

P9270012.JPG

Wired it up to a two way Carling switch. All wiring was pretty simple really, the new solid state solenoids are a breeze.

P9270015.JPG

Done, time to test. Hooked up the rope and spooled it in, worked a treat. Then went down to the back yard and had a go winching up the hill. The brake wasn't working at all and performance wasn't great, not looking good thought it was time to rebuild again - not happy. But as the sun was going down I realised it was spooling backwards and I had wired in and out the wrong way - result!! That fixed and then re spooled the proper way time to re test. Performance was awesome, the brake is amazing, just feels so solid. Had a go winching up a vertical embankment and it just wanted to go -very happy!! The only downside with the standard high mount is free spool is tough as your spinning the gears up to the motor. I can see why the air free spools would be bloody awesome, maybe Santa will be nice one day

Still need wire the buttons on the bar, put in an isolator switch and will also put in a switch to link the batteries through the isolator, however just wanted to get it working at this stage.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

AB (30th September 2014), growler2058 (30th September 2014), MudRunnerTD (30th September 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looking good Rossco.

The placement of the solenoid is not ideal bud but will get it done. The most voltage drop is between the solenoid and the motor so the closer the better. Just behind the grill or behind the headlight for the win. I had mine mounted under the washer bottle.

With my 24v setup I will be going on the end of the motor. I will probably set up ABs winch with. The solenoid on the end of the motor too.

With the Freespool, you will find that the "Winch Out" on a Himount is very fast and there is no adverse effects on the winch by winching out so go for it mate. I have my Freespool pinned so winch out. I have just bought an Airfreespool though Shhhhhhhh. I will post a pic here of the pin for you, I took one tonight when I stripped the Himount and front bar off my GQ.

Looking good mate, you will love the Himount.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

AB (30th September 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here is a pic of the pinned freespool, stops it popping out

ImageUploadedByMotorculture1411994345.616199.jpg

Top filler point and breathers in the top housing and motor. Drain in the bottom too

ImageUploadedByMotorculture1411994404.383749.jpgImageUploadedByMotorculture1411994418.200027.jpgImageUploadedByMotorculture1411994428.316941.jpgImageUploadedByMotorculture1411994462.704868.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Rossco (30th September 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Caution..... The One Thing that will KILL A HIMOUNT is trying to slow down the winch or stop the run on by trying to spool in the other direction. It will kill the brushes. Get used to it. The run on it predictable. You can't stop it, learn it.

Have fun

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bracket on my Albright solenoid would not mount up to the end of the 6 HP motor under the long bolts, did you have this problem, also reversing the high mount at speed can break teeth off the gears. The easy way is to power out the amount of rope you need whilst standing at bull bar, this keeps the tension on the rope then run up the hill only dragging the rope.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to liftlid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liftlid View Post
    The bracket on my Albright solenoid would not mount up to the end of the 6 HP motor under the long bolts, did you have this problem, also reversing the high mount at speed can break teeth off the gears. The easy way is to power out the amount of rope you need whilst standing at bull bar, this keeps the tension on the rope then run up the hill only dragging the rope.
    just about to set it up like this mate, speaking with Phil from the 4WDShed i will need to grind the heatsink flat on the end and then it will bolt straight up

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast