Thread: Suspension Mods for Towing Caravan

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suspension Mods for Towing Caravan

Hi Folks

I am going to upgrade my stock suspension setup and thinking about an Old Man Emu 2" lift with Nitro shocks and higher rated (200kg) springs in the rear so that when I am towing my caravan there will be less sag and less reliance on my weight distribution hitch to level things back up.

I fancy the 2" lift as it will be handy for when I'm just off road, and also for when towing it will drop the tow hitch lower (relatively) allowing better opening of the rear doors over tow equipment etc.

My query though is: whether to go the OME setup with heavier springs on the back OR to try airbags on the rear.

I wondered if those of you who tow caravans might provided your thoughts on this?

My caravan is 2T, so around 200kg on the tow ball.

cheers

Mark
    2012 GU8 ST CRD Platinum Silver with Tints, Factory Bar, IPFs, Snorkel, UHF, Maxtrax, Rated Recovery points front/rear, In dash Nav, Scangauge2, Ally Roof Rack, OME 2" Lift

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would fit Both. Use the Polyairs when you are towing only and then ride in comfort on OME all the time. If you try and set it up for towing load then you compromise your general use with a firmer than necessary ride.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, been to my local ARB shop today and after chatting to the team there have booked it in for OME 2" lift, Nitro Shocks and 200kg springs in the rear.
    2012 GU8 ST CRD Platinum Silver with Tints, Factory Bar, IPFs, Snorkel, UHF, Maxtrax, Rated Recovery points front/rear, In dash Nav, Scangauge2, Ally Roof Rack, OME 2" Lift

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    some good shops will give you a slight down hill look so when loaded it will look level
    That's what they have done with mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok have done homework on rear suspension for towing. Dont use airbags in springs. The spring mounts are weak enough anyway and when you put airbags in springs they are solid and wil break your spring mounts. There are sveral air bag manufactures that make bags that replace bump stops so you have a 2.5 tonn load carry between chassis and diff. Just put enough air in to help support your stock springs and get best of both worlds.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyro View Post
    Ok have done homework on rear suspension for towing. Dont use airbags in springs. The spring mounts are weak enough anyway and when you put airbags in springs they are solid and wil break your spring mounts. There are sveral air bag manufactures that make bags that replace bump stops so you have a 2.5 tonn load carry between chassis and diff. Just put enough air in to help support your stock springs and get best of both worlds.
    Hi mate, welcome to the forum, This thread is 7 nearly 8 years old.. All good though. Im not sure i agree with your All In approach of replacing the spring with an Airbag is the only way. There is a fair bit of info about the limitations of both. Referring back to the original question i would still go wth Polyair Airbags but include the Spring Tower Brace kit from Boss as this fully overcomes the issue of weak spring Towers. regardless of towing or not, the Tower Brace Kit should be on everyone's shopping list.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

geoffayres (11th September 2021), jff45 (11th September 2021), Rossco (11th September 2021)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyro View Post
    Air bags in springs are solid, but air bags in place of bump stops are not??

2.5T load carrying capacity??

Wagon rear diff max load is 1.8T from factory, or maybe 2T with gusseting and GVM upgrade.

ATOC have welded in their rear spring mount gussets on my wagon.
    I run Firestone air bags inside the rear springs at a constant 5psi.
    When the van is hooked on, the airbags come into play.

I found on long trips (6 weeks or so) that the rear springs would sag over time.
    No such sag with the air bags fitted.
    Last edited by geoffayres; 11th September 2021 at 03:42 PM.