Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GU TD42 Turbo Upgrade

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU TD42 Turbo Upgrade

Im looking at upgrading my stock turbo to the next size.
    I currently have a HT18 and was wondering if i upgraded the turbo if i would get better fuel economy, Also Would any one know where i could get this done in perth that has a good reputation and a value for money, Possibly someone on here has had theres done and there thoughts on this
    The big girl has done 330,000 kms now and i have only just bought it 5 months ago, And it still feels very Tight in the drive Train.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your set up still 100% stock, ie, standard exhaust, boost pressure and fuel pump? If it is then getting a basic power upgrade can be done using the standard turbo by fitting a 3" exhaust, upping the boost to 14 Psi and tuning the fuel system to suit. Fitting an intercooler will also help power, economy and engine longevity.

Beyond that places like MTQ can "hi-flow" turbo's where they machine out the compressor and turbine housings and fit bigger compressor and turbine wheels.
    Alternatively you can get upgraded ball bearing turbo's like the Garrett GT2860RS which are better again.
    With any upgrade you really need to start with the bigger exhaust - pointless trying to force more air in if it can't get out, and tuning will be essential to make the most of any additional airflow from modified or upgraded turbo's. If you have a factory intercooled GU you can get performance chips for the computer, non intercooled GU did not have a computer.

Tony

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep i agree with Tony, If you ahve not tuned the thing then you will be stoked with the potential.

Things you need to do.

3" Exhaust and Dump pipe.
    Install a manual Boost Controller
    Install a Pyro Meter gauge.
    Install a Boost gauge

Go see Mr Dyno tuning for a tickle.

I drove my GUIV TD42Ti onto the Dyno with the mods above and got 64rwkws on 33s first run. I drove out with boost up from 8psi to 14psi, fuel up and 97rwkws!!! Thats 50% upgrade in the old language right there.

You'd be nuts not to do that first.! Regardless the 3" and the rest of the shopping list will be required with what ever setup you chase. So start there and get it done. Enjoy.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

hutchy84 (2nd September 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Guys will look into it and get it done and will let you know of my outcome

Thanks again

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spoke with someone from United Fuel Injectors and enquired into there Turbo Upgrades and there Stage 3 Kit consists of a aftermarket Mitsubishi TD05 Turbo and a fuel system tune and a 3" exaust and he was saying they are getting 400nm of torque

Does that sound good for the price

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hutchy84 View Post
    I spoke with someone from United Fuel Injectors and enquired into there Turbo Upgrades and there Stage 3 Kit consists of a aftermarket Mitsubishi TD05 Turbo and a fuel system tune and a 3" exaust and he was saying they are getting 400nm of torque

Does that sound good for the price
    What was the price?

Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd still be giving it a Dyno and a Boost and fuel up before i go spending likely $2500 to $3k on the stage 3 upgrade?

Remember, the "fuel system Tune and the 3" exhaust" are both on the list above! you are going to do that anyways. Get that done and tune her up and see how it feels. With a stage 3 upgrade you might go from my max of 97rwkw to maybe 105rwkw to 107rwkw.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the price is 4800k so i think i might be getting a 3" exhaust fuel tune put on and a dyno and see how it feels from there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OUCH!!! Yep get the tune bud.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You dont get much better than the boys at united. They really know their stuff with 4.2s. But otherwise do as has been suggested.

Bucky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast