User Tag List

Thread: smell of petrol in cabin

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

smell of petrol in cabin

hi guys ive just purchased a GU TB45 and every morning the car, or just when cars been sitting for a few hours the cabin smells really bad of petrol, i have lifted the carpet in rear of car and inspected the top of pump, doesnt appear to be leaking, just wondering what else or where else to look. just concerned as have a toddler and 4 month old sitting in a car they is full of fumes

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no one has experienced this?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi lufkin, not in the patrol had a falcon with the same thing. It ended up being a small split in the fuel line under the car. Wasn't till it was under pressure that it leaked. Dried up so did not see any fuel under the car.
    Was it before or after the car is going? Probably nothing you can do but checking from the fuel tank to the front to see if you can see something, maybe running and not running. I could only see my leak when someone was in the seat putting some revs on. Sorry got nothing else for you.
    Good luck.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't know this particular model, but do these have a vented fuel tank. If so check the vent hose and connections for leakage. Just a theory based on the fact that it is when the vehicle is standing. When running and drawing fuel there would be no pressure build up in the tank so no fumes.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its still doing it 9 months later, mechanics here are useless so have given up on them trying to find it, smells even worse once fueled up, like i can fill the car and go inside servo to pay then come back out to car and you would have swore i filled up the cabin with fuel and not the actual tank. i'll have to get someone under it and rev whilst i check or something, really frustrating as havnt had the kids in it once yet because its annoying me so much plus the smell is a instant headache

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Do you think its coming fron the front or rear of your Patrol??
    check the back wheel arches where the fuel lines go along the
    top of the chassis sometimes they get cut there
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You may have to drop the tank and inspect the top, connections and seal on the sender unit.
    Could be blocked vent
    Could be a dodgy fuel cap
    Agree with 3D, chase the fuel lines (esp the vent) thru the wheel arch for damage
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Smelling Petrol is a bad safety issue, and would suggest you try and find it ASAP.
    You dont want petrol dripping on your hot exhaust. Have an extingisher ready
    when you start it up. Then follow the lines should be reasonable easy to see IMO
    unless its on top of the tank.
    My AUX tank leaked from the top, so I replaced it with a 75ltr Aux, problem fixed
    Hope you find it without too much drama
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Lufkin
    Funny thing you bought this up. I have a 1998 TB45 and last year we did a trip to the Flinders and Gammon Rangers.
    Fairly hot and I was travelling with a full Aux tank at all times. All through the day, while we were doing the driving tracks, the smell of petrol was strong in the cabin. Never had it travelling to there from Qld or when we were travelling back home.
    There was no sign of petrol stain anywhere nor any drips underneath as I stopped and looked a dozen times.
    The only thing that stopped it was when I transfered the aux tank across to the main ?? Smell disappeared ?
    And yet I can fill the aux tank back home here where it is considerably cooler and never a whif of fumes ?
    Maybe the breather was clogged with dust or maybe there is a small weep at the top of the aux tank, don't know.
    But no issues back here
    Big Mystery !!
    Russ