Thread: Cooling System Reverse Flush Options

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cooling System Reverse Flush Options

G' day all. Went to work this morning & decided to take the afternoon off - I have been very keen to fit my new radiator & associated bits so I made a start. All going well - old radiator out ( very blocked ) , went to undo thermostat housing so that I could flush system. 2 Bolts were "firm" but loosened easily, 3rd bolt "tight". I wasn't game to apply too much pressure for fear of snapping it off - is that likely to happen ? I can't afford to have my ute off the road too long as I use it for work.Then the in laws turned up & that was pretty much it for the day. My question is can I still reverse flush the cooling system some other way & replace my thermostat etc at a later time so that if the worst happens I can shuffle my work load around ?. Also what is the best technique to bleed the cooling system ? Removed fan & viscous clutch also - fan cracked in lots of places. Sorry my ute is a GU 4.2Tdi. Thanks Old Wal.
    Remember that a high IQ doesn't make up for a lack of common sense.
    Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You could reverse flush through the heater core as once it goes through the core it will be able to come out the inlet to the water pump. It wont be a perfect flush but it will work. I find the best way is to apply water in every direction you can.

Also a standard garden hose male to male adaptor fits perfectly in the heater hoses.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks nissannewby I will give it a go tomorrow. Any suggestions on bleeding system system ? Old Wal.
    Remember that a high IQ doesn't make up for a lack of common sense.
    Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself !

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Wal View Post
    Thanks nissannewby I will give it a go tomorrow. Any suggestions on bleeding system system ? Old Wal.
    I usually just fill the system then start the car with the heater turned on and allow the engine to show temp on the gauge without the cap on and top up as necessary.

You can also park with the nose up hill to get the filler neck up higher.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Old Wal (27th August 2014)