Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arb airlocker Solenoids - Alternative use

Hey guys

I got a really dumb question. i recently had e-lockers installed along with a heap of other things. even though i didnt need it i still installed an on board compressor (arb) the wiring harness for the compressor came with the wiring for the two solenoids for the air lockers. so i got to thinking about what other things i can install that are air driven that i can run off the solenoids.

But firstly i dont have the solenoids just the compressor and the wiring harness, so before i start buying parts i was wondering if anyone can tell me if the solenoids exhaust air from what ever device they are attached to once you turn them off ?? ie if i was to attach the hose to a pneumatic ram when i flick the switch off would it let the air leave the ram ?

the only reason i ask is i saw a video on youtube of a patrol with rams in the pillars so if it ever bottomed out hey just pumped up the rams and pushed the car off what it was stuck on. Not that im that keen to make crazy mods to my car. more just curious

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi mate,

Yes the solenoids are basically an air switch. Yes they will empty what ever you turn off with them. You can install an extension to the exhaust side to empty out of the car which is common for lockers otherwise you smell diff oil which sucks.

They wont create a vacuum on reversal though. Pressure On /Open. Pressure Off/Closed.

You can buy replacement printed switch covers for $5 on ebay for any number of things.

i Have used the solenoids for the following

Isolate the Air Tank on the car
    Turn on AIr to the WInch motor and gear box for water crossings and cooling.
    Air ram operation for flip u roof lights.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

lmnewey (27th August 2014)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The air ram operation is exactly what i had in mind

Did you have a spring to flip it back? or did you power the ram in both directions ?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry mate for the delay, got caught up at work.

Yes you would need 2 solenoid a to operate the ram in both directions. The solenoid a would be wired up to the same switch and operate opposite to each other.

When one is open, one is closed.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.