User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: right of access on "private" property

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a problem here in the North East where "Toorak Farmers" buy land and the first thing they do is go around with chains and padlocks and lock up all the gates. Even those that have gazetted public access. In one case I know a farmer who owns property that is land locked by one of these properties. He spoke to Mr Toorak with no result. He told me that he always has a gererator in the back of his ute and carries an angle grinder to solve the problem.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    We have a problem here in the North East where "Toorak Farmers" buy land and the first thing they do is go around with chains and padlocks and lock up all the gates. Even those that have gazetted public access. In one case I know a farmer who owns property that is land locked by one of these properties. He spoke to Mr Toorak with no result. He told me that he always has a gererator in the back of his ute and carries an angle grinder to solve the problem.
    Mate and his neighbours who use a "common" gate have their own locks on the gate, solves that problem.
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    My Father owned a Farm about 140 K's from Melbourne and it was amazing how many times people would just set up Camp on the property without asking permission. They would become quite aggressive when asked to leave. We found that when we had the Dogs with us we did not have many arguments.
    Another part of our property had the Coliban River running through it and we always allowed the Trout Fishermen access to the River accross the property
    Why would you ask them to leave? i kinda don't get it, i would just tell them to make sure to leave it as they found it.

I can see if you own land why you would not want people camping there, as most people dont go with 'leave nothing, take nothing' method. But i'm not talking about camping, i'm talking about accessing a track, to gain access to a state forest.

The comparison about camping in the back yard is wrong. cause i'm talking about using a track often no even insight of the home, i have cars drive within 10 meters of my house regularly, its not that big a deal really is it? a couple of 4x4s driving past on a Sunday afternoon, I would be open to ask permission but you find that if you hit a locked gate 4kms down a track and there is no info. so you can't ask.

Its a bit a shit mentality, i have more land than i can ever really use, but i want to make sure that no one else uses it (even to drive across) well cause its....mine.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nisshead View Post
    This is a good tool: https://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/

Looks like private property to me mate
    I don't doubt the private property, but there are roads indicated there.

the sign was about where the road splits just to the north east of the building, we were coming from the direction, looking at that map it looks like i would be allowed to access the "road" yeah?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deanfurley View Post
    Why would you ask them to leave? i kinda don't get it, i would just tell them to make sure to leave it as they found it.

Its a bit a shit mentality, i have more land than i can ever really use, but i want to make sure that no one else uses it (even to drive across) well cause its....mine.
    Just because a Farmer owns 5,000 Ha does not mean he does not use it. He grazes Sheep , Cattle etc and maybe crops. I dont see why you think you have a right to cross Private Property or to Camp their without asking permission first

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:

Drewboyaus (27th August 2014), Family4x4 (27th August 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't doubt the private property, but there are roads indicated there. ?
    Maybe we all misunderstood your question but I thought you asked twice if the coordinates you posted were in fact private property .

.....on the move

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Just because a Farmer owns 5,000 Ha does not mean he does not use it. He grazes Sheep , Cattle etc and maybe crops. I dont see why you think you have a right to cross Private Property or to Camp their without asking permission first
    Rob it appears you missed where i said camping is different.

I'm also not talking about farm land, some people just own a large amount of land with no animals on it. it at least very few, i.e a token amount.

Also Rob, how am i supposed to ask permission when i hit a locked gate? start a signal fire till someone comes? starting calling them on 80 UHF channels? sound the horn?

Its not about a right Rob, if you see where my OP was heading it has alot more to do with a bloke putting a private property sign on what now appears to be an unsealed road.

Between the greens and land owners locking gates they may or may not be allowed to do mate, we will all be 4x4ing in a back yards soon mate, now that may suit you but not all of us. my questions about crossing land were weather there was a rule put in place to allow this, in the same way you cannot build over a sewer line in a normal residential property.

you also did not answer my direct question about why you would ask them to move on? is it simply, it's mine and i don't want people on it? (ie. what is YOUR motivation?)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nisshead View Post
    Maybe we all misunderstood your question but I thought you asked twice if the coordinates you posted were in fact private property .

.....on the move

Sorry mate, was more asking if i was allowed to drive by, which it looks like i should be able to yeah? as i would need to drive down that track to access plots further down.

great tool by the way. thanks for your help

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you also did not answer my direct question about why you would ask them to move on? is it simply, it's mine and i don't want people on it? (ie. what is YOUR motivation?)
    From my perspective (and our family property runs cattle outside Melbourne), like Bob, we have no issue with fishermen using the Yea river on one boundary but simply won't accept people we don't know and who have not asked being on our property, especially camping.
    There are plenty of flogs out there who have no consideration for the property and with livestock all over the property there's no guarantee they'll leave gates as they found them. Not to mention the large amount of expensive machinery that is there.
    Simply unless you do the courtesy of asking so someone can eyeball you you'd better turn around and find another way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

Bob (27th August 2014), Family4x4 (27th August 2014), paulyg (27th August 2014), TimE (27th August 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also did not answer my direct question about why you would ask them to move on? is it simply, it's mine and i don't want people on it? (ie. what is YOUR motivation?)
    The reasons for asking them to move on were :-

1. Disturbance to Livestock on the Property
    2. Liability for personal damages . (even though Public Liability Insurance was held it is still a hassle in the event of a claim)
    3. No Sanitary Provision
    4. Danger of starting a Bush Fire as most of them were from the City and have no Bush Sense
    5. Because they Camped without asking Permission

Mate I do not wish to get into a slanging match over this. Just stating my position
    Last edited by Bob; 27th August 2014 at 12:57 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:

Drewboyaus (27th August 2014), jack (27th August 2014), TimE (27th August 2014)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast