OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Electrical help needed. '90 SWB 4.2 petrol Auto.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electrical help needed. '90 SWB 4.2 petrol Auto. Update! solved.

Have had two threads running with associated issues but I'm hoping for a specific answer here.

After chasing a no gauges and indicators issue which I finally tracked down to a faulty ignition relay next to the fuses. I've replaced that and solved the gauges/indicator problem BUT, I now have an issue with something else that I probably caused by disconnecting and forgetting to reconnecting or dislodging something.

Symptoms: (what doesn't work)

Reversing lights.
    Power switch on trans lever.
    Power indicator light on dash. (orange top left)
    ATP warning light on panel in front of levers. (Red)

AND when driving the transmission starts and stays in 2nd. I can force it into 1st using lever but in Drive it stays in second.

IIRC this is some default mode for issues with the transmission. But I could be wrong about that.

Everything else appears to be functioning.

The areas that I've been stuffing around it are: around the fuse panel, the connections next to the battery (checking the fusibles) and behind the panel where the AT control unit is - passenger foot well.

The car has been very much molested in the electrical department and when I came across dodgy wiring I attempted to tidy it up and remove any 3rd party stuff.

Any ideas? I've pretty much done the obvious fuses .etc.
    Last edited by GQsweep; 23rd August 2014 at 06:03 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    retrace your steps mate you may have bumped a plug. beng that it had 3rd party wiring n it theres not much help anyone can really gve u on here except to once again retrace your steps

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wiring I'm referring to was additional for a alarm and central locking which I've removed or disconnected. The original wiring has largely been left intact save for some wrapping removed and wires spliced in.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well this is embarrassing! Checking everything again and looking at the wiring diagrams and trouble shooting guides in the online manuals directed me to the AT control unit. So I'm just about to pull the connectors and check if the unit had power and I thought 'if there's no power it is directing me to the harness back to battery via fuse, so I'll just double check the fuse'. Had a look on the fuse layout diagram and determined that it's the red fuse between the blue and yellow one. Got my torch and stuck my head down there and WTF, how'd that happen? The fuse is sticking out at an angle. Pushed it in and all is well.

I must have dislodged it with my foot after installing the relay and starting up to check the indicators and meters. Sheesh! What a dope.
    Well took it for a run and apart from a sticky auto choke all is well.