Thread: running gauge wires behind the dash, can it be done

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

running gauge wires behind the dash, can it be done

Im planning on stalling a few gauges in the center of my dash(just above the heater controls). I want to keep the install as clean as possible.

im wondering is there a way I can run the gauge wiring behind the dash near the windscreen in anyway.iv noticed my gq has 4 10 mm bolts holding the metal cover on the dash. can this be removed and wires fed through ?

any help and pictures would be great

thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marti,
    you've probably given up on a reply by now and I'm not going to be of much help.
    Not done anything like you're going for but my understanding is the dash panel is relatively easy to remove.
    Access through the firewall is one consideration.
    Space to drill/saw/cut a space to fit the instruments is another.
    Can't help but wonder if it may be an option to pull the wiring through the wall but somehow get it above the dash and then simply screw/rivet/whatever the guages onto the top of the dash. Seem to remember about 50 years ago all the FJ, EC etc. holdens had guages fixed on top of the dash. Super cool , ultra horny and clearly visible.
    Jeeez, those were the days.
    Luck, col

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Col.T For This Useful Post:

threedogs (31st August 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hopefully someone can help you out with running behind the dash but I have seen people drill through the dash under the pod itself (careful drilling of course) which hides the hole, put a grommet on and run it through. I'm not a huge fan of drilling holes in the dash but a they are a very neat fit anyway.

Is it a GQ or GU?

Have a read of this link below for some ideas...

GU PODS
    http://www.consoles.com.au/Nissan_PatrolGU_pods.htm

For a neat installation of wiring without drilling any holes - a hole has been cut out at the back of the pod to accept a wiring loom for radio(s) or accessories. Remove the glovebox to provide access under the dashboard.Run the wiring through the windscreen demister vent hole that is closest to the hole in the pod. The wiring can be threaded between the plastic demister vent and the crash pad. Another alternative is to remove the passenger's side 'A' pillar cover. Run your wiring up through the gap next to the 'A' pillar. Next, run the wiring across to the centre of the dashboard and tuck it into the gap between the windscreen and the crash pad. Make sure you have at least 50cm of wiring protruding from the centre of the dash board. Run your wiring over the top of the dashboard then through the half round cut out at the front of the pod. A vinyl covered tube has been supplied to cover the wiring that is exposed between the pod and the windscreen.

GQ PODS
    http://www.consoles.com.au/Nissan_GQ_pods.htm
    There is no need to drill holes when wiring or installing the pod. Two front mounting brackets utilise two of the genuine bolts directly below the windscreen. The other mounting bracket slides underneath the crashpad

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Col.T (29th August 2014)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys but its all done now, I didn't run them behind the dash I drilled a hole in the top of the dash right next to the rh side vent and ran the wires along the vents

thanks for the help

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Is it possible to put a photo of where you ran the wires ?
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I took all my wires out the the rear left corner of the dash cluster pod as the pod is fairly easy to access. From there I made a cover plate for 4 gauges so I could run all the sensors and wiring below the pod but on top of the dash.

I had a base bent up and i painted it then set about installing a set of gauges from scratch.

They are... Oil Pressure, Water Temp, Exhaust Temp, Turbo Boost. Here is some pics of how they came up.

Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 31st August 2014 at 01:13 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

dom14 (18th November 2016)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dash mat cover up works well.

Rob,

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    same gauges and position im putting mine mud runner, yeah ill get some up when i go work on it on the weekend, llooks a little un tidy as i had to drill a 14mm hole, and cut the dash foam with a knife but the dash mat covers it