2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would make a huge difference to noise levels in the cabin. Well worth the effort. Thanks for the photos.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Winnie says, don't forget those door skins. Huge amount of noise from the road comes that way, plus the difference to your speaker sound is unreal.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did my old mq (noisy old diesel beast) with some ebay butyl based material.

Did the door skins and rear side panel skins and also the tailgate skin. Those were the easy ones and just tapping the sheet metal on the outside after the job and all the tinny drum sounds are gone. The whole point of the sound deadening material is really to absorb the energy/resonance in the metal and that's what the butyl material is there for.

I then did the front floor areas, transmission hump and up as high as I could go on the firewall, without stripping out all the front dash (way too much work for me to bother, though it would have been nice to do that). I did under the front seats and just behind them as well.

On the test drives after the job, it is definitely noticeable that you can talk to the fellow passenger at a normal voice level and easily hear them. Quite an improvement for about $200 of material and several hours of work.

What I will have to do next (next time I'm back in oz) is put some material on the bonnet skin, since lots of engine noise goes through that metal and straight through the glass into the cab. I'll have to source some higher temp material that works in the engine bay. The old nissan 'mat' based liner that is presently there is a little old and could do with modernisation. I'd also like to use some high temp material on the engine side of the firewall, plenty of room to fit some there in the old school mq and that should help a lot too.

Anyhow, certainly a worthwhile exercise.

cheers,
    george.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to georges80 For This Useful Post:

bigkevlittletruck (30th November 2014), OAK PATROL 88 (13th May 2015)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12