OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: 8 Tonne rated recovery gear OK for a Patrol or go bigger?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

8 Tonne rated recovery gear OK for a Patrol or go bigger?

All my recovery gear was rated at 8,000KG for when I had my Pathfinder, now that I'm grown up to a Patrol I'm just wondering if 8,000KG is still ok, or should I be looking at higher rated gear and sell my 8K straps.

I currently have:
    2x 9m 8t Snatch Straps (1x TJM, 1x Warn - seems Warn don't make a heavier rated one anyway - tho haven't searched too hard yet).
    1x 8t Equaliser Strap
    Usual 3.25t & 4.75t D/Bow shackles.
    - all unused.

Getting a Runva 11xp winch next weekend, so will need to go shopping for tree protector/winch extension(s)/snatch block anyway.

Any brands to avoid? bogbuster seems rather cheap, so not sure of their quality.
    Last edited by ozjeff; 17th August 2014 at 02:21 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    8t is about right , unless you will have a trailer on . the snatch strap should be rated at 2.5 to 3 times GVM . if the strap is to high a rating it will not stretch and the stretching and retracting is what makes them work . go nylon straps not poly . if you do have a trailer on i think it would be better to winch .

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nipagu7 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (17th August 2014), ozjeff (17th August 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^^^^^^. What he said ^^^^^^
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No trailer (yet). So seems I can keep my gear then

Now just to shop for winch related then

Does nylon apply to winch extensions/tree protectors as well?? Or not poly just as good then given it doesn't need the stretch/snap (and given snatch straps aren't to be used as winch extensions - unless it's the only thing left between losing the 4bee and potentially saving it).

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nipagu7 View Post
    8t is about right , unless you will have a trailer on . the snatch strap should be rated at 2.5 to 3 times GVM . if the strap is to high a rating it will not stretch and the stretching and retracting is what makes them work . go nylon straps not poly . if you do have a trailer on i think it would be better to winch .
    That is interesting observation however IMHO 3,050 kg GVM of Patrol is rarely a case when you are loaded for a trip. More likely another 200 kg. I'd take 3,500 kg as more viable proposition in which case 8,000 kg strap is gonna stretch a bit more than desirable perhaps.

Mine is already at 2,750 kg (unladen factory rated 2,500 kg) without me even sitting in it. Add a winch and it will probably top 2,800 kg without any load.

I think most of us are forgetting that listed Patrol unladen mass is from the factory without even basic accessories like bull bar, roof rack and second battery. Forget the drawers, cage, fridge (empty), wheel/jerry carrier, high lift...

Cheers
    Last edited by Rumcajs; 17th August 2014 at 06:33 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rumcajs For This Useful Post:

ozjeff (17th August 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumcajs View Post
    8,000 kg strap is gonna stretch a bit more than desirable perhaps.
    Pun not intended??

Yeah I was thinking at least 3,000kg so 8t still makes it in at 2.5x (up to 3.2t) and I know some say 2x - 3x (up to 4t) and that's based off the heaviest vehicle of the 2. So knowing it's borderline thought I'd ask.

No trailer .... yet (amazingly the wife wants 1 )

Might have to go to the dump and see what she weighs in at on their scales with full fuel as well as I've got long range tanks along with the b'bar, rear bar with 2 tryes, 2nd batt, winch (well as of next weekend), roof racks, awning etc. to play safe.