Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

types of solar panal

hey guys

a while back when I was looking into getting solar for camping I was told theres 2 types of solar panal. the blue panel and black panel.

I was told one needs the whole panel in the light as each solar plate is hooked in series and that the other type of panel it didn't matter if one square had shade it didn't shut out the whole panal as each square was hooked in parallel.

is this true and if so whats the best one to get the blue or black panel????

cheers guys

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also im looking at getting an mppt regulator whats the diff between mppt and pwm???

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There has been much valuable discussion about the various types of solar panels and regulators in two or three different threads on here.
    I suggest if you are chasing a quick answer using the search bar at the top right corner using search terms such as "solar regulator" or "solar panel" will turn up some of the outstanding input on this subject from the members here.......
    When I get back to my computer later today, if you have had no luck, I'll post up a link to the various threads on the topic for you to review.
    Cheers,
    Drew.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

threedogs (17th August 2014)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks mate ill give it a whirl. but could u please post up the threads for me to mate would be muchly appreciated. cheers bud

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There has been lots on the regulators but I Can't say I can recall much discussion on the panels themselves, try the search bar If that fails google and search the differences between Monocrystalline and Polycrystalline panels but my preference is mono.

The black panel your referring to would be possibly be thin film solar panels
    Last edited by megatexture; 18th August 2014 at 12:04 AM.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dakka1 View Post
    hey guys

a while back when I was looking into getting solar for camping I was told theres 2 types of solar panal manufactured in solar panels factory. the blue panel and black panel.

I was told one needs the whole panel in the light as each solar plate is hooked in series and that the other type of panel it didn't matter if one square had shade it didn't shut out the whole panal as each square was hooked in parallel.

is this true and if so whats the best one to get the blue or black panel????

cheers guys
    Hello friend have you got the solar system? Even I am looking to get one so can you help me out?
    Last edited by LoganHop; 2nd September 2014 at 04:38 PM.