OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diff Breather Routing - Pressure Issues?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TazManic, the GUs have breathers already run from front diff,transfer case,gearbox or auto etc run up to and end in the the front passenger guard and the rear diff breather
    I think is just run into rear chassis rail. You can see the breather connections they are on high points and have 90 degree angle where breather hose connects.
    I hope this helps
    Cheers
    Respect the Bush

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys,

I'm looking at my diff breathers at the moment, albeit for a slightly different reason. I am starting to work on my dual battery installation. I have a problem where the metal fixed pipe on the passenger side near the firewall is preventing me fitting my ARB battery tray. From what I can tell, the metal pipe terminates under the passenger side guard. I haven't owned a car with diff breathers before this one, so I want to ask the question.

Based upon what I can find on this forum, I am under the impression that if I disconnect the hose from the fixed metal pipe where it joins above the chassis rail, and redirect flexible pipe to a breather can with an air filter on it, and then mount it on the firewall high up, this will allow my diffs to continue to breathe and function as normal.

Any problems with my planned changes that anyone with experience knows about? Any info would be appreciated.

15 years ago, I just woulda cut away and changed things without thinking about it...

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes your making them redundant. Go for it. As long as you have a continuos pipe
    Breather to the end those lines can be bypassed
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Patrol'n (26th October 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Yes your making them redundant. Go for it. As long as you have a continuos pipe
    Breather to the end those lines can be bypassed
    Cheers MudRunner, I'll pop down to the auto shop tomorrow for some pipe, can and filter. Any issues with volume, pressure rating of pipe, filter type, etc to worry about, or can I just take a new piece of flexible hose to a can, and then remove the metal fixed pipe?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah any hose will do, it's only air. No pressure and very little flow. It is not uncommon for guys to fit a $2 inline fuel
    Filter to the end as the filter to stop rubbish going down the hose. Fuel hose seems an expensive way to do it. Any rubber or plastic pneumatic type hose for the win. Have a look at the kit 3dogs posted for an idea of the type of hose. It will see No Heat, No Pressure, no Oil, Just Air flow.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Patrol'n (26th October 2014)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking at the breathers on mine the other day and it looks like the transfer case and gearbox are "tee-ed" together before they connect to the pipe that leads into the left front wheel arch
    The other one there seems to be from the front diff.
    Would it be fair to assume you simply extend those two connections up higher and then route a separate line up from the rear diff?
    It is the rear diff that seems most vulnerable. Where the front diff is routed on a stock vehicle is pretty high as it is
    2009 ZD30-CRD Patrol ST Wagon. Bullbar, IPF Spotties, Snorkel, BFG285/70R70, 2" OME Lift, Rear Drawers, UHF, Scangauge, VDO Boost and EGT Gauges in an A-Pillar Pod, More bits

Thanks
    Thanked 4,665 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes.
    Many of the eBay kits forget the difference and transfer.
    The gq runs front diff, gearbox and transfer into the front as you have found and realisticly are quite safe in there.
    The rear is the biggest issue as that only vents into to chassis cross member.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I re did my breathers using 6mm teflon hose and those push fittings,
    allowing plenty of room for full flex and avoiding exhaust .
    Mine terminates up on the fire wall using a small air manifold
    and brass air mufflers/filters. Plus plenty of cable ties
    Link is for the brass filter
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140772721...84.m1423.l2648
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by threedogs; 26th October 2014 at 09:46 AM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a similar hose to 3d (same stuff but mine is blue)and it has split at the connection on the rear diff, it's not a verry flexible hose from new and I think that's the issue

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Yeah any hose will do, it's only air. No pressure and very little flow. It is not uncommon for guys to fit a $2 inline fuel
    Filter to the end as the filter to stop rubbish going down the hose. Fuel hose seems an expensive way to do it. Any rubber or plastic pneumatic type hose for the win. Have a look at the kit 3dogs posted for an idea of the type of hose. It will see No Heat, No Pressure, no Oil, Just Air flow.
    Righto, it's off to Super cheap for me then, I'll try and remember to take a photo of what I chuck together and post it later, thanks again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12