Thread: 1988 GQ TD42 non-turbo cylinder head replacement advice

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation 1988 GQ TD42 non-turbo cylinder head replacement advice

Hey guys

I have a 1988 TD42 non turbo diesel GQ patrol. I have been noticing some leaks from the head I'm not too sure if it is from the head gasket or from the rocker cover. I have replaced the rocker cover gasket twice now and the leak is still there, so I have come to the conclusion that it could even be a cracked head since the car use to run a turbocharger when the previous owner had it. Either way because I have heard some knocking from the engine for a while now I have decided to replace the whole head to solve this problem once and for all. I have a brand new head coming to me with a new VRS kit which includes new gaskets and bolts. Some advice and the correct procedure in tackling this situation from someone who has done this before and has some experience in this kind of work will be greatly appreciated. And the right torque settings and equipment used during the head replacement and the right way to set the timing and any other things that need to be set and done right. Can someone give me some good step-by-step advice on this matter.

Thank you in advance fellow GQ/TD42 owners

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have heard some Knocking from the Engine I would suggest that the bottom end of the Motor needs checking out.

Also if you welcome a few new members and/or make some posts in other threads you will soon achieve 25 Posts which will entitle you to download the Manuals.

Best of Luck with it mate

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bob,

I was wondering why the manuals were not working for me haha.

Welll its more of a ticking sound than a knock to be honest with you, when I replaced the rocker cover gasket I noticed the springs were a bit worn out in the head and the links were a bit shaky. Correct me if i am wrong but I am assuming the ticking noice is comming from the valves or something from the head, maybe its timming is all over the place and it needs a tune done.

I have no idea lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi mate,

Hopefully someone can help you. Feel free to Bump this thread. Please don't create identical threads to this elsewhere as I will delete them.

Have a look around and try the search function and bump here. Plenty of info here bud.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.