Thread: Wheel alignment

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wheel alignment

Everytime I get a wheel alignment and balance, within weeks it seems to go out again even without any off road use, steering wheels shakes is the first thing to happen along with pulling to one side. Any ideas why this would happen so quickly.
    Gq patrol 2 inch lift

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump, anyone?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are so many things that effect steering. Changing rim offset plays a part, tyre type, wear, pressure etc, incomplete lift package especially when a bigger lift is fitted. All bushes have to be if good shape, and bearings have no play. Spindles have to be in good Nick too. An alignment is not worth a pinch of crap if every other component is not up to scratch. Recently adjusted my front wheel bearings a bit too tight, the steering felt really positive. Backed the preload off a bit and a slight wobble is felt when on a high speed left sweeper. So I'm going to nip it up a bit more. Hope that helps a little.
    Cheers
    Macca

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Digging up an old thread. I have recently lifted my 2012 GU by 2". How important is a wheel alignment on a live axle front end post lift? Are 'toe in' & 'toe out' the only adjustments?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I also have a 2" lift and haven't done anything special with the front end. There is a way to change the camber but I was told not necessary with a 2" lift and I am not experiencing and driving issues or excess tyre wear. A good ides to adjust the brake bias mount at the rear of the vehicle though.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'm worried about excess tyre wear especially. I learnt the hard way on a previous 4x4 after doing a lift so will be keeping on eye on that. I know there isn't much to adjust on a live axle but want to be sure. Might do a ring around. Can anyone recommend a local tyre shop north Brisbane around Carseldine/Aspley?

Fortunately my model GU does not have the rear brake bias valve so I'm safe there.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Might be worth a look at this. Nissan Patrol Reference Document pages 45 through 49. Sorry, not a bias valve but the load proportioning valve. I raised mine 2" after putting in the lift and it did make a difference.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Patrols tend to pull to the left on the road due to the camber on the road. I used to get an alignment yearly but it was never really out. It was always around 0.2mm which is nothing and I do a lot of off-roading. I will leave it until I notice something wrong. As macca suggested, there could be something else going on in your front end that is causing the problem. With the limited adjustment on a Patrol and the simple and robust front end its probably not an alignment issue.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem at all in front end. Just checking IF a wheel alignment was necessary after a lift. Car drives beautifully. Thanks for the info though