Thread: Clutch and flywheel replacement - GQ RD28T

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clutch and flywheel replacement - GQ RD28T

G'day everyone,

Starting to tear down my RD28T ready for rebuilding and putting together a list of components that I am going to need to replace.

First cab off the rank is the clutch and flywheel.

I am going to replace the clutch with a new kit possibly an HD unit as I will be towing the camper trailer as well as replacing the flywheel. The flywheel looks like it has been machined previously in its life and it has hot spots all over it and the pressure plate (indicates a slipping clutch apparently)

My question is do I stick with the OEM dual mass flywheel or a single mass unit? What are the differences in application? (other than the obvious.....)

Cheers,

Rob
    Just about to jump into my next Patrol. A 2001 GU II TB45E .

WARNING!: Do not ever use a towball as a recovery point. They are not rated and can become a deadly projectile during a recovery if they snap off, and they have done so with tragic results in the past.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. I found out the differences between the Dual Mass and Single Mass flywheels.

http://www.clutch-kits-australia.com...-flywheel.html

What is the Difference between a DMF and SMF?

The dual mass flywheel was designed to help smooth out the torque produced by petrol and diesel engines, by increasing the kinetic energy stored on the input shaft side of the gearbox and provide easier gear changes.

The SMF dampening springs are usually in the clutch plate so when the clutch was replaced with the new clutch kit there was no need previously to be concerned. Now with the new dual mass design the dampening springs are in the flywheel.

Cheers,

Rob
    Last edited by rkinsey; 11th August 2014 at 02:22 PM.
    Just about to jump into my next Patrol. A 2001 GU II TB45E .

WARNING!: Do not ever use a towball as a recovery point. They are not rated and can become a deadly projectile during a recovery if they snap off, and they have done so with tragic results in the past.