OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GU Rear Shelf - about $100, easy as.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skitzyrex View Post
    Done one up for my car also. Was $60. Just used some security mesh from the salvage yard and some 20mm square tubing. Attachment 59076Attachment 59077
    What did you fix yours to Skitzyrex?

Sent from my LG-D295 using Tapatalk
    2010 GU, 2in lift, old man emu suspension, duellers, arb bullbar, dual batteries, safari snorkel, scangauge2, rhino rack platform, saving for more......

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibbo View Post
    What did you fix yours to Skitzyrex?

Sent from my LG-D295 using Tapatalk
    Hey mate, the rear is bolted to where the rear seat belt bolts are. The front is bolted through the cargo barrier with a metal plate on the other side.
    2007 GU ST-S 4.8 Patrol.
    40mm heavy duty springs, Dual batteries,
    140 ltr fuel tank,Custom 60ltr water tank, draws, cargo barrier, bull bar, IPF spotties, UHF.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Skitzyrex For This Useful Post:

Ibbo (27th June 2015)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by briscott View Post
    Hey blokes, I needed to knock up a shelf for the back of my truck and wanted it to be light, cheap, easy and look neat. It didn't have to hold lots of weight, I intend using it for lighter stuff.

So I thought about it for about 15 minutes, headed down to Bunnings to buy a fence panel and a post.

Total cuts were 3 - knocked the post in half to make bearers, cut the panel in half to make the shelf (top and bottom cut). All with the hacksaw.

The Z brackets bolt down to the 3rd row seat holes with the original bolts, the rest is just zinc bolts/washers with nylock nuts.

2400x900 fence panel - $59;
    1800x50 fence post - $20;
    50x100 Z brackets - $3.50x4;
    50x50 end caps - $1x3 (post comes with one);
    4 x 4" 5/16 bolts, 4 x 3" 5/16 bolts - nuts and washers to suit - $10;
    2 x ~8-10mm 50x50 spacers for the rear Z brackets - free out of a bit of spare timber.
    No paint required unless you want the heads of the bolts done.

Cost - $110
    Total time to build - 2.5hrs
    Weight - Not sure - 5-7kgs plus the mat??

I did buy a 1200x850 rubber mat from Bunnings for $29 which is pictured, what is not pictured is the ply ($9) to spread weight across the bars. A tip though if you do something similar is to whack a rubber mat ($7.50) from bunnings under the timber to stop any bounce noise - or attach each slat to the board.

Without the ply, the shelf if fine to put shopping/baggage etc etc on. The mat is quite heavy, grippy and has knobs on the back that give minimum deflection between the slats.

The slats are welded both ends from the factory, but I wouldn't concentrate 20kg on a slat or two. With the ply in place though, the thing will hold pretty reasonable weight.

Getting it out is easy, it comes out in a single piece. Undo the 4 seat bolts and its done.

Talk about a thread dig, but I just wanted to say that I reckon this is a great lightweight alternative to rear drawers.
    If you and the patrol are still around, do you have any long term feedback on how this shelf has worked out? Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12