OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GU Rear Shelf - about $100, easy as.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU Rear Shelf - about $100, easy as.

Hey blokes, I needed to knock up a shelf for the back of my truck and wanted it to be light, cheap, easy and look neat. It didn't have to hold lots of weight, I intend using it for lighter stuff.

So I thought about it for about 15 minutes, headed down to Bunnings to buy a fence panel and a post.

Total cuts were 3 - knocked the post in half to make bearers, cut the panel in half to make the shelf (top and bottom cut). All with the hacksaw.

The Z brackets bolt down to the 3rd row seat holes with the original bolts, the rest is just zinc bolts/washers with nylock nuts.

2400x900 fence panel - $59;
    1800x50 fence post - $20;
    50x100 Z brackets - $3.50x4;
    50x50 end caps - $1x3 (post comes with one);
    4 x 4" 5/16 bolts, 4 x 3" 5/16 bolts - nuts and washers to suit - $10;
    2 x ~8-10mm 50x50 spacers for the rear Z brackets - free out of a bit of spare timber.
    No paint required unless you want the heads of the bolts done.

Cost - $110
    Total time to build - 2.5hrs
    Weight - Not sure - 5-7kgs plus the mat??

I did buy a 1200x850 rubber mat from Bunnings for $29 which is pictured, what is not pictured is the ply ($9) to spread weight across the bars. A tip though if you do something similar is to whack a rubber mat ($7.50) from bunnings under the timber to stop any bounce noise - or attach each slat to the board.

Without the ply, the shelf if fine to put shopping/baggage etc etc on. The mat is quite heavy, grippy and has knobs on the back that give minimum deflection between the slats.

The slats are welded both ends from the factory, but I wouldn't concentrate 20kg on a slat or two. With the ply in place though, the thing will hold pretty reasonable weight.

Getting it out is easy, it comes out in a single piece. Undo the 4 seat bolts and its done.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by briscott; 3rd August 2014 at 08:07 PM.
    Great dealings with: Rex;

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to briscott For This Useful Post:

gaddy (4th August 2014), jackbyo (30th June 2020), MudRunnerTD (13th April 2021), mudski (3rd August 2014), my third 256 (20th May 2015), phtest (15th September 2014), threedogs (4th August 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good job mate, looks good
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good mate. Good thinking
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea, would be strong enough to hold a bit of weight, but weight on (I'm assuming aluminium fence) when bouncing around might buckle.
    But I love the idea. Up here for thinking.
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGOMONSTER View Post
    Great idea, would be strong enough to hold a bit of weight, but weight on (I'm assuming aluminium fence) when bouncing around might buckle.
    But I love the idea. Up here for thinking.
    Yep, needed something for clothes/bedding/chairs etc - lighter stuff. I'll bolt the ply on it, it should distribute the weight well enough to carry a bit more. I wouldn't sweat putting a full esky on it 'on road', might knock up some removable posts for the middle. Didn't put any in as I want to slide a table under it.

edit - Just looked at the pics, might add some swing down legs, could easily fit 3 across the door end and one at the seats end.
    Last edited by briscott; 3rd August 2014 at 11:38 PM.
    Great dealings with: Rex;

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to briscott For This Useful Post:

Ibbo (24th June 2015), MEGOMONSTER (3rd August 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by briscott View Post
    Yep, needed something for clothes/bedding/chairs etc - lighter stuff. I'll bolt the ply on it, it should distribute the weight well enough to carry a bit more. I wouldn't sweat putting a full esky on it 'on road', might knock up some removable posts for the middle. Didn't put any in as I want to slide a table under it.
    With nice bit of ply on it, it should be enough not to have a middle leg.
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    what a great idea, tanks for sharing

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome idea!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Done one up for my car also. Was $60. Just used some security mesh from the salvage yard and some 20mm square tubing. ImageUploadedByMotorculture1434872195.945251.jpgImageUploadedByMotorculture1434872213.223366.jpg
    2007 GU ST-S 4.8 Patrol.
    40mm heavy duty springs, Dual batteries,
    140 ltr fuel tank,Custom 60ltr water tank, draws, cargo barrier, bull bar, IPF spotties, UHF.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's exactly the kind of thing that makes this forum so good. Ideas like that shared. Thanks mate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast