Thread: Best tyre size for fuel economy

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best tyre size for fuel economy

I have a GQ Patrol with 4.2 TB42E engine with 265/70/R16 tires on 8 inch rims.
    The driving I mostly do is open road with a little dirt track activity on farms.

I would like to know from someone who knows the real skinny on tires.

What is the correct size tire for the best fuel efficiency. I have heard that the wider the tire the more energy it takes to move it.
    I have also heard that if your tire is too tall then you use up fuel to overcome the oversize rolling diameter.

What size size should I get? Skinny tall 235/85R16? Wide tall 255/85R16?
    Or maybe I will have to get different size rims.

I just need the correct advice.

Thanks

Neil

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stey with what you've got mate
    if you want to go skinnys you need split rims ( more cost)
    why get gas conversion to cut fuel cost down
    2007 GU 6 /ST-L / MYO8 / DIESEL/AUTO /MOONSTONE /pro vent 200
    OH LEATHER IS NICE

4. The Following User Says Thank You to my third 256 For This Useful Post:

Patrol 1993 (3rd August 2014)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just stuck a set of Goodyear Wrangler HTs on my GQ on the buy 3 get the 4th free program and they are so much quieter and softer riding than the ATs that I took off.

Its unbelievable. "She" is so much happier because of the ride on the freeway now!

For fuel efficiency use your cruise control, don't stop start and pump up the tyres to the correct number IMHO

Cheers
    Chimo
    Last edited by Chimo; 3rd August 2014 at 08:06 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chimo For This Useful Post:

Patrol 1993 (25th August 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,666 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea with above if your after a quiet and economical ride grab a set of 31x10.5 ht tyres
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just put on some Toyo HT 265/70/R16 and they are quite and unless I'm pulling a trailer give a bit better economy. The noise level reduction over the BF Goodrich A/T's are significant.
    2004 4.2TD ST, Berrima Diesel Injector Tuned, Viper 3" SS exhaust, Cross Country Ultimate Intercooler, Solvaris sound proofing, DigOptions GPS/MMU, 220mm Roo Lights, PIONEER TS-D1602R 6.5" x 4 speakers, Autocar EGT&Boost gauges, Brown Davis 80L Aux, Icom 440, Alloy drawers and cargo barrier, 2" Amanda Extreme / Dobson / PolyAir lift, CSA mags with Toyo ATII tyres, Rhino Pioneer roof rack now with brackets, Performance 4x4 16g Large.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HuskyInAuz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    I just stuck a set of Goodyear Wrangler HTs on my GQ on the buy 3 get the 4th free program and they are so much quieter and softer riding than the ATs that I took off its unbelievable.
    "She" is so much happier because of the ride on the freeway now! For fuel efficiency use your cruise control, don't stop start and pump up the tyres to the correct number IMHO

Cheers
    Chimo
    Yep, cruise control will give good economy.....
    1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado è tratto

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NP99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrol 1993 View Post
    I have a GQ Patrol with 4.2 TB42E engine with 265/70/R16 tires on 8 inch rims.
    The driving I mostly do is open road with a little dirt track activity on farms.

I would like to know from someone who knows the real skinny on tires.

What is the correct size tire for the best fuel efficiency. I have heard that the wider the tire the more energy it takes to move it.
    I have also heard that if your tire is too tall then you use up fuel to overcome the oversize rolling diameter.

What size size should I get? Skinny tall 235/85R16? Wide tall 255/85R16?
    Or maybe I will have to get different size rims.

I just need the correct advice.

Thanks

Neil
    My ex Telstra truck came with 235/85’s on split rims. I have since replaced them with 265/75’s & non split rims.

The total weight of the 265 + steel rim is, despite there being more rubber, lighter than a split rim with 235, quite noticeably.

The diameter of the 265/75 is almost identical to the 235/85. Just a bit wider.

On my truck I needed to run the 235’s at 68psi on the rear. With the 265’s I have been able to drop this to mid 40’s.

I haven’t noticed any real change to fuel consumption, but comfort on rough roads is greatly improved.

However as part of your decision making you might want to consider why Telstra stuck with the 235’s (mine was used in the red centre based out of Alice Springs & did a lot of rocky & sandy dirt roads).

My motivation to change was that I felt the higher pressures would put me at higher risk of blowouts & I also wanted to improve ride comfort.
    I decided that as I carry two spares that I would rather just carry a ‘plug repair kit’ than deal with split rim repairs by the side of the road.
    I also guess I succumbed to a degree of pressure from fellow forum members here where bigger & wider tyres are almost universally held in higher esteem than skinny ‘cheese cutters’ (to be fair, a view probably held by the majority of 4wd’ers in general).
    Aesthetics/fashion plays a part, but there are some off road situations where wider tyres are certainly an advantage.
    I don’t regret my decision to go a bit wider for my intended usage - long term touring, & would do thesame again.
    Being able to physically lift a wheel more easily is a bonus for a small bloke like me.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Patrol 1993 (23rd August 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    My ex Telstra truck came with 235/85’s on split rims. I have since replaced them with 265/75’s & non split rims.

The total weight of the 265 + steel rim is, despite there being more rubber, lighter than a split rim with 235, quite noticeably.

The diameter of the 265/75 is almost identical to the 235/85. Just a bit wider.

On my truck I needed to run the 235’s at 68psi on the rear. With the 265’s I have been able to drop this to mid 40’s.

I haven’t noticed any real change to fuel consumption, but comfort on rough roads is greatly improved.

However as part of your decision making you might want to consider why Telstra stuck with the 235’s (mine was used in the red centre based out of Alice Springs & did a lot of rocky & sandy dirt roads).

My motivation to change was that I felt the higher pressures would put me at higher risk of blowouts & I also wanted to improve ride comfort.
    I decided that as I carry two spares that I would rather just carry a ‘plug repair kit’ than deal with split rim repairs by the side of the road.
    I also guess I succumbed to a degree of pressure from fellow forum members here where bigger & wider tyres are almost universally held in higher esteem than skinny ‘cheese cutters’ (to be fair, a view probably held by the majority of 4wd’ers in general).
    Aesthetics/fashion plays a part, but there are some off road situations where wider tyres are certainly an advantage.
    I don’t regret my decision to go a bit wider for my intended usage - long term touring, & would do thesame again.
    Being able to physically lift a wheel more easily is a bonus for a small bloke like me.
    Good Day Cuppa,

Could you tell me what brand of plug repair kit you have and if you have been unfortunate enough to need to use it was it any good?

Thanks,

Harry.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to harrythomas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Harry,
    Have not had any need to use it & in fact have never used one before.
    So whether what I have is any good or not I can’t really say. Instead I’ll keep my fingers crossed!
    The kit is an Aldi one, an impulse buy, branded ‘AutoXS’.
    It was only around $20. Pics lifted off another forum where the poster reckoned the kit was as good as another that had cost him twice as much.

screenshot_168.pngscreenshot_167.png

If anyone has experience of the Aldi kit I’d be interested to hear about it, & if I need something better would welcome recommendations.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

harrythomas (5th August 2014), Patrol 1993 (8th August 2014)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My work ute is running 3 plugs ATM they are great! No need to get them fixed they will out last the tyre.. I punctured a side wall once and plugged it and forgot to change it over once on the black top and ended having the side wall split/ blowout, I personally will never plug a side wall again! Lol

Don't be afraid to put more than one plug in the same hole also! Works a treat I've had 3 in once before it would hold air with no leaks

20. The Following User Says Thank You to megatexture For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast