OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My DIY fitting of a Runva EWX1200 winch to a Nissan Patrol Genuine Bullbar

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My DIY fitting of a Runva EWX1200 winch to a Nissan Patrol Genuine Bullbar

I have been looking at installing a 13.5XF Runva winch to fit to my Nissan Patrol Genuine Bullbar.

Nissan_Bullbar.JPG

The retailer had recommended a 11xp or a ewx1200. I was a bit concerned these may be a bit small but thanks to lucus30 who suggested that I can always do a a double or triple line pull one of these would be sufficient. On Monday I ordered a Runva EWX1200 Winch. It arrived three days later so I had a go at fitting it.

Well, unfortunately the winch will not bolt up as there is not enough room for the winch motor to fit between the bullbar mounting and the chassis. It misses by about 15mm

Winch1.JPG

After searching the forum it appears that I need to mount the winch upside down thanks to a post by MudRunnerTD. So I checked this out on my bullbar and it will bolt in upside down as long as there no other problems. I emailed the supplier for advice on fitting it upside down and they checked with Rumva.

The advice that Runva gave was, “That as long as the rope still goes in and out in the right directions it will be fine to install upside down. Just make sure the rope is feeding out of the hawes properly.” Excellent!!! and great after sales service.

So today I had another go at fitting it – upside down. Needed longer bolts for the top as the fairline needs to be fitted with the same bolts as the top of the winch and I had to extend the earth wire from the control unit to the motor. I will test it next weekend.

Winch2.JPG

2. The Following User Says Thank You to harrythomas For This Useful Post:

lucus30 (2nd August 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by harrythomas View Post
    I have been looking at installing a 13.5XF Runva winch to fit to my Nissan Patrol Genuine Bullbar.

Nissan_Bullbar.JPG

The retailer had recommended a 11xp or a ewx1200. I was a bit concerned these may be a bit small but thanks to lucus30 who suggested that I can always do a a double or triple line pull one of these would be sufficient. On Monday I ordered a Runva EWX1200 Winch. It arrived three days later so I had a go at fitting it.

Well, unfortunately the winch will not bolt up as there is not enough room for the winch motor to fit between the bullbar mounting and the chassis. It misses by about 15mm

Winch1.JPG

After searching the forum it appears that I need to mount the winch upside down thanks to a post by MudRunnerTD. So I checked this out on my bullbar and it will bolt in upside down as long as there no other problems. I emailed the supplier for advice on fitting it upside down and they checked with Rumva.

The advice that Runva gave was, “That as long as the rope still goes in and out in the right directions it will be fine to install upside down. Just make sure the rope is feeding out of the hawes properly.” Excellent!!! and great after sales service.

So today I had another go at fitting it – upside down. Needed longer bolts for the top as the fairline needs to be fitted with the same bolts as the top of the winch and I had to extend the earth wire from the control unit to the motor. I will test it next weekend.

Winch2.JPG
    Looks good. Let us know how it performs
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They had difficulty fitting to an ARB deluxe bar too, but I think did the same thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And did you put in a isolate switch from the controller ?
    U have 4 choices in life :U can like it; lump it; love it or shove it, take your pick and stick to it !

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lucus30 View Post
    Looks good. Let us know how it performs
    I will let you konw. I need to pick up a three protector and a couple of bow shackles this week so I can try it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dads tractor View Post
    And did you put in a isolate switch from the controller ?
    Not as yet, but I do plan to plus I also thought that I should install a fuse on the positive feed from the battery. Do you have a view on that?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not as yet, but I do plan to plus I also thought that I should install a fuse on the positive feed from the battery. Do you have a view on that?

Thanks.
    My understanding is that most don't put fuses for a few reasons.

You need a pretty big fuse and need to carry spares and most will have a manual isolator fitted so its really only at risk of shorting while not isolated.

I'm sure others will have differing opinions
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks.
    No mate keep it very simple cut the blue wire that runs to the power battery cable (middle large terminal )and spliced in 3mm twin core pair and ran back to switch in cab .Its only to break the circuit at the controller on the box on the front .If you use the remote and have the box isolated you will have full function through the remote . Tried to upload 3 pics but cant get it too happen tried AB's directions still no luck and not enough patience.

RUNVA 11000

IMG_0029.JPG[ATTACH=CONFIG]47958[/ATTACHIMG_0032.JPG]IMG_0031.JPG

Sorry its so messy but 2 photos show the original wire layout and 2 show the red and black spliced in to go too cab switch .If a Mod has time feel free to tidy up .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dads tractor; 5th August 2014 at 09:20 AM.
    U have 4 choices in life :U can like it; lump it; love it or shove it, take your pick and stick to it !

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dads tractor For This Useful Post:

harrythomas (5th August 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lucus30 View Post
    My understanding is that most don't put fuses for a few reasons.

You need a pretty big fuse and need to carry spares and most will have a manual isolator fitted so its really only at risk of shorting while not isolated.

I'm sure others will have differing opinions
    It was just a thought as I have the electric jacks on my camper fused but they only need a 60 Amp one and I guess the winch would need one much bigger. Just isolating it sounds easier. Thanks for your input.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dads tractor View Post
    No mate keep it very simple cut the blue wire that runs to the power battery cable (middle large terminal )and spliced in 3mm twin core pair and ran back to switch in cab .Its only to break the circuit at the controller on the box on the front .If you use the remote and have the box isolated you will have full function through the remote . Tried to upload 3 pics but cant get it too happen tried AB's directions still no luck and not enough patience.

RUNVA 11000
    Sounds like a interesting idea. Would be good to see the photos if you could get them loaded.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast