Thread: Solar Regulator

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This blue sky unit looks like good value for an extra 29$ On top the 2000e unit ?
    http://www.blueskyenergyinc.com/prod...ar-boost-3000i
    Would you think this would be a better option than the Tristar 45a
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Morningst...d=700341249944

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megatexture View Post

Hard to say. Both require the additional battery temp sensor.
    The Blue Sky appears to be slightly more configurable without use of a computer than the Morningstar, but both are pretty good in that respect. Having greater ‘configurability’ isn’t much use unless you know what you are doing though.
    Both have been around for a few years.
    Depends upon how important MPPT is to you.
    I would find it a difficult choice - to go with MPPT or to stick with a unit I have have used extensively & know & like.
    Both have a 5 year warranty.

Maybe your choice might end up being around which is the easiest to install in a removable way.

Best I can suggest is that you have a read of their manuals & decide which you feel most comfortable with.

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/wp-co...ual.04.EN_.pdf

http://www.blueskyenergyinc.com/uplo...SE_SB3000i.pdf

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

megatexture (22nd September 2014)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just had a flip through the manuals and yea the blue sky looks a bit easier but once disconnected it may go back to factory settings, and the camping settings will be different to the truck I would assume. Whereas the Tristars dip switches may be easier to quickly change to the desired settings.. I'm too tired to be reading all these manuals lol

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cuppa have you heard much of victron units ? Like this one http://www.springers.com.au/product/...MPPT-Regulator

Only reason I ask is these guys at springers recomended these units over the Morningstar units.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megatexture View Post
    Cuppa have you heard much of victron units ? Like this one http://www.springers.com.au/product/...MPPT-Regulator

Only reason I ask is these guys at springers recomended these units over the Morningstar units.
    Victron make high quality gear. I’ve only ever had a Victron pure sine inverter. It is three times the weight of the same wattage one it replaced. It’s only a 350w one, but I have tested it continuously running for almost an hour with almost a 500w load & it didn’t falter. I am impressed with it. Victron gear has been around for a long time & has always been high end gear. I think they are Swedish. All that said, I think that manufacturing solar regulators is a relatively recent development for them. It was only a few months ago I first heard of them. They have long done big inverter chargers some with solar capability, but these much smaller MPPT units are I believe a relatively new venture. I’m sure their quality will be high, but, in my mind at least, they are yet to be proven.

I’m wondering if Victron are now trying to get into a different market. Not so long ago Victron stuff was only available from around half a dozen places in Australia, but a quick google now shows many more places offering these Blue Solar regs, & the price seems lower than I would have expected for a 50amp MPPT, let alone a Victron one.

Springers, are a very reputable company, & would feel sure they would give good after sales service if it were needed. Usually I would expect their prices to be at the higher end of the scale, but their price on these is cheaper than any available on ebay.

If it suits your portability requirements better than the others then I’d expect you would be happy with it. I’ll ask on another forum if anyone has fitted one, & if so I’ll let you know what they have to say.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

megatexture (25th September 2014)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the sales assistant said they are a major distributer of them to other stores so possibly have good buying power to get the lower price and yes he said they were Swedish, the in store price is actually 20% off atm also so I’m seriously considering this unit. it also has alot of room for growth being a 50a unit lol

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They only had 15a and 50a models in store but said they can order others in so I may inquire about the 30a unit .
    I do think the 50 is a bit much but as a one off order the 30 may be higher priced making the 50 bettter value .. http://www.victronenergy.com/solar-c...lers/mppt0030/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only responses I’ve had so far on the other forum comment that they look like they might be hard to set up & be less configurable than some in regard to output. (Particularly important if lithium batteries are a future possibility).

Have a look at the manual. I had a quick look through it & I must admit did not find it especially reader friendly.

I also prefer a proper LCD readout rather than having to count flashing LED’s & then interpret them.

http://www.victronenergy.com/upload/...E-ES-SE_A6.pdf

Personally I rate having a good manual quite highly, it’s something I carry in the vehicle, & have needed to refer to it on several occasions, not just at installation. I reckon the Tristar manual is very good.

I don’t think I’d get a Victron, but that doesn’t mean it’s no good. Perhaps you should get one & be a ‘guinea pig’ & report on how you find it.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I love being a guinea pig but I won't be getting one as it states in the trouble shooting pages...

Problem: Charger not functioning.
    Possible cause: polarity Reversed
    Solution: Non replacable fuse blown. Return to VE for repair......

No thanks, who makes anything with a non replaceable or resettable fuse and there is no other mention of any fuse in the specs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123