Thread: GU series 8 headaches.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry GU series 8 headaches.

I purchased my first patrol a few months ago, a 2012 gu8 dx wagon 3.0 CRD. 28000ks on the dial.

Its a great drive, I have done some moderate 4wding and some long trips it goes great. Just have a couple issues and I want to know if anyone else has had the issues, 1st issue which was an easy fix, belt and tensioner both were stuffed, thanks Nissan, they charged me and said it was wear and tear on a car with 28,000ks on the clock, anyway what ever fixed so just a warning to others expect this.
    Problem two was not a problem to begin with! Nissan said after its first service that the accel pedal sensor has been recalled, well ok then so I let them replace it even though it was working fine, since then every once and awhile after I start the car I lose accelerator response to the first few cm's of the throttle travel and it stays that way until I stop then engine and start the car back up, then it comes good again, have taken it back to Nissan, they wont do anything unless I bring it in when its playing up.... easier said then done for a night duty worker because they open 2 hours after finish work! and close when I get up... anyways being intermittent it hasn't happened when convenient for Nissan.
    My last annoying bit is the factory Difflock wont engage, I took it in for that they then said it was the switch... ok well they get the switch I book it back in, that day they say it wasn't the switch and im doing it wrong and its working, I have followed the factory manual since the day I got it, its VDC so the manual states to put it in low range (hubs locked) and the difflock can be activated while driving under 7kph, I do this and the difflock flashes and does nothing, I have tried it while sitting still, and as well in neutral, the gear box not transfer case. am I doing something wrong? or is my local Nissan just idiots? (btw they argued with me when I phoned in about difflock saying new gu's don't have a factory difflock).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi mate sorry I can't help you with the diff lock as I'm old school, as for the belt tensioner I would have argued about being charged for that. Btw mate as a courtesy we ask that you drop over to the intro thread and tell us a bit about yourself.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stropp For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (1st August 2014), threedogs (1st August 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with Stropp, the belt tensioner should have been covered under warranty. Mine was and I know others here who had it covered.

The symptom you describe with the flat pedal is a typical TPS fault and sounds like the one they installed is faulty as well. When mine was playing up it would do the same. I had mine replaced under warranty and then 3 months later there was a recall and replaced again. Never had that flat pedal issue since.

There are a fair few threads on the difflock issue you describe on here. One I seem to recall was a vacuum line coming off the vacuum actuator .
    Have a good look around the forum mate, heaps on info you have described above.

and welcome to the forum mate

\EDIT: this will start you reading..lol

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ight=diff+lock
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ight=diff+lock
    Last edited by Maxhead; 1st August 2014 at 07:52 AM.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlemoGU8 View Post

Problem two was not a problem to begin with! Nissan said after its first service that the accel pedal sensor has been recalled, well ok then so I let them replace it even though it was working fine, since then every once and awhile after I start the car I lose accelerator response to the first few cm's of the throttle travel and it stays that way until I stop then engine and start the car back up, then it comes good again, have taken it back to Nissan, they wont do anything unless I bring it in when its playing up.... easier said then done for a night duty worker because they open 2 hours after finish work! and close when I get up... anyways being intermittent it hasn't happened when convenient for Nissan.
    I have that accelerator issue as well, and like you nissan say that I have to bring it in when its happening.
    2012 GU Patrol Simpson Edition. Auto. UHF, Bull Bar, 2" lift with Koni shocks, dobinson coils. 3" stainless Steel Exhaust.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Thanks for the replies, you guys are awesome! will go post an intro right now. thanks for the info!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might go try that left to right steering trick to get difflock to...lock

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Flemo,
    good intro. Welcome.
    Presume the Nissan dealer no go re a diff lock is over by now. If not, suggest to them they look up their electronic service manual in the first release SM7E 2Y61G1,
    Section PD (propellor shaft & diff carrier), pages 40-52. A system description of the diff lock is on page 46.
    Maybe it was stopped as an optional fitting before your model but any documentation for the car may stick it up clear.
    Wish I had one. Luck,
    Col

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is the truck still under warranty? 28000 it would have to be, anyway i would get onto head office and get my money back! when they did the recall on the accelorator pedal it was about 10 months after i had already replaced it myself and i got onto head office and got my money back. i just replaced my tensioner too and was made in a different country to the original so maybe they have sourced a better made one or my guess is they just sourced a cheaper more nastier one, i guess time will tell....cheers....
    Quote Originally Posted by FlemoGU8 View Post
    I purchased my first patrol a few months ago, a 2012 gu8 dx wagon 3.0 CRD. 28000ks on the dial.

Its a great drive, I have done some moderate 4wding and some long trips it goes great. Just have a couple issues and I want to know if anyone else has had the issues, 1st issue which was an easy fix, belt and tensioner both were stuffed, thanks Nissan, they charged me and said it was wear and tear on a car with 28,000ks on the clock, anyway what ever fixed so just a warning to others expect this.
    My last annoying bit is the factory Difflock wont engage, I took it in for that they then said it was the switch... ok well they get the switch I book it back in, that day they say it wasn't the switch and im doing it wrong and its working, I have followed the factory manual since the day I got it, its VDC so the manual states to put it in low range (hubs locked) and the difflock can be activated while driving under 7kph, I do this and the difflock flashes and does nothing, I have tried it while sitting still, and as well in neutral, the gear box not transfer case. am I doing something wrong? or is my local Nissan just idiots? (btw they argued with me when I phoned in about difflock saying new gu's don't have a factory difflock).
    2008 GU 2" LIFT, GME UHF BLACK KING WHEELS, SAFARI SNORKEL, LIGHTFORCE 240' KAYMAR DUAL WHEEL CARRIER STEINBAUER POWER, beaudesert 2 3/4 system, runva 11,000 comp winch.....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate
    Tell Nissan to check the voltage on the tps. I had the same problem And one mechanic checker the voltage and there was a volt drop when the Peddle was moved in and out hope that helps
    Ron
    Last edited by Oldmate1; 3rd August 2014 at 10:05 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast