Thread: They’re gone

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They’re gone

Since moving to the relative ‘suburbia’ in which we now find ourselves I’ve wrestled with the idea of disposing of my firearms, an old Stirling single barrelled shotgun (with a kick like a horse) & a Ruger lever action/9 shot .22 magnum rifle. (Ruger 96/22M). Neither were likely to get any further use here. The shottie has been a useful tool & I have always liked the short barrelled little Ruger. Have had both for around 20 years. However on just a bit over two acres with neighbours relatively close by, using either to try to keep the rabbit population under control is fraught with problems. Both are loud & likely to put the wind up the neighbours, & the magnum’s range is a liability, especially due to the proximity of the road & the number of horses who live across the road. The thought of a ricochet hitting one of the the neighbour’s prized harness racers doesn’t bear thinking about let alone a passing car.

Today I took the guns into town to the gun dealers & exchanged them for a new .22 air rifle which should have the capability of knocking over the bunnies which are breeding (like rabbits!) on our place. It is commonplace to see half a dozen or more of the little bleeders at a time on our lawn. New scrapings appear every night & the garden is becoming so cratered areas of the lawns are beginning to resemble the moon’s surface. I was amazed that many air rifles cost more than .22 rimfires, but with a little ‘horse trading’ managed to get a new air rifle, a gun bag, 5 x500 quality german made pellets & my old scope fitted on the new rifle plus $50 cash in exchange for my two guns. Probably could have done a bit better if I had travelled to Melbourne, but I was happy enough with the deal & it was convenient to trade locally.

All air rifles are considered ‘Group A’ firearms, in the same category as non repeating shotguns & small bore rimfire rifles which I find both surprising & somewhat over the top . Very different to when I was a kid in the UK, although I understand that today air rifles above a certain muzzle velocity are also now regulated in the UK too. The one I’ve bought has a moderate (by today’s standards) muzzle velocity of 720 fps in .22 (1000 in .177). I believe the threshold in the UK is 600fps, over which they are considered ‘high powered’ & regulated.

It’s certainly not a ‘high end’ gun but considering that when I was a kid I could knock over rabbits & squirrels with a worn out old BSA Meteor (or was it a Super Meteor) & no scope so I reckon the new one will be more than adequate. It’s a Spanish made Gamo Shadow IGT. The IGT (Inert Gas Technology) bit being a relatively new ‘springless’ mechanism, (aka a ‘gas ram’) which retains the old ‘break the barrel method’ to cock. http://www.sportingshootermag.com.au...-igt-air-rifle

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those Ruger lever actions with the rotary mag are a great firearm in my opinion. Even though you may have been able to get more in the trade, you were getting nothing for them sitting in the safe.

I hope the air rifle does its job and you get plenty of use from it.
    In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 720 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G`day Cuppa
    I`m sure they would have sighted the scope when it was fitted
    A mate bought a LED laser that is designed to fit in the breach and shine down the barrel so you can adjust the scope in the back yard and do it very accurately and safely. Apparently it works a treat.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice. Cuppa if you want a paintball marker it falls into a cat a firearm licence too! I've used a couple of air rifles and I prefer just sticking with a .22 rim fire cheaper less maintenance etc. but the neighbors will prefer your air rifle. They have pcp technology now (scuba tank) prepelled air rifles that are doing 800-1200 fps
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know guns, but sounds like just a slug gun. Lol
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds good cuppa, where did you move to mate. maybe a couple of pics of the place if you want to do a "my new place" thread. i am in the throws of selling my prized Ford TE50 to finance the refurbishment of my current house so i can sell and buy a couple of acres in the bush.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGOMONSTER View Post
    I don't know guns, but sounds like just a slug gun. Lol
    That is exactly what it is MM, them slugs are gonna have to watch their backs now!

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Bob (31st July 2014), MEGOMONSTER (31st July 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stropp View Post
    sounds good cuppa, where did you move to mate. maybe a couple of pics of the place if you want to do a "my new place" thread. i am in the throws of selling my prized Ford TE50 to finance the refurbishment of my current house so i can sell and buy a couple of acres in the bush.
    ‘Downsized’ from 76 acres of mountain top surrounded by 1000’s of hectares of bush & a house I loved in Gippsland to 2.3 acres & a very ‘ordinary’ house surrounded by 5 & 10 acre blocks just outside of Ballarat Stropp.

Plan is to build a new barn with separate access to the house (with bedsit, storage & workshop) which will become our ‘homebase’ for as long as our future travelling lifestyle continues, allowing us to rent out the house to give us a little income to eek out our savings to allow us to stay ‘on the road’ for as long as possible, but with the security of a home to return to should health fail. MrsTea was keen to have a house to live in should I kark it & leave her alone. I certainly miss living out in the bush & the lifestyle which went with it, but it wasn’t a practical proposition to rent out, nor to grow old in.

My ‘new’ workshop .... for the time being until I build the new barn - have rewired & added a lot more power points & lights since pic was taken.

IMG_1069.JPGIMG_1070.JPGIMG_1072.JPG

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice shed cuppa, got a good masport wood heater too i see to keep you warm. sounds like what i plan to do except wa is very pricey for land and now i have grandkids coming its a bit hard to up and move to victoria where its a lot cheaper.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would have been interested in your ruger lever action Cuppa , If I had only known... AHwell. Spilt milk and yes I'm crying.
    The price of excellence is dicipline , the cost of mediocrity is dissapointment .

13. The Following User Says Thank You to boots For This Useful Post:

Family4x4 (1st August 2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast