Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some advice on panhards and trailing arms etc

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some advice on panhards and trailing arms etc

Hi guys I need to replace some of the bushes on my GQ for it to pass its warrant and I am just debating whether to buy brand new front and rear panhards, and new adjustable upper trailing arms and possibly new lower ones too. Can someone tell me some of the advantages of getting aftermarket ones rather than just rebushing the existing ones? I am running a 2" lift with 35" tyres if that makes any difference. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The original equipment only had a 2mm tube wall. I think this is reason enough to not bother with re-bushing.
    IMO and should be taken with a grain of salt.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Parksy For This Useful Post:

chrisc2306 (29th July 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't bother with adjustable uppers unless youre going hard core. The lowers are more likely to bend as stated above theyre one step up from alfoil thickness. Don't think you necessarily need adjustable for a 2"lift mine are lengthened to suit my 4"
    Panhards much the same adjustable though is the way and the after market stuff is STRONG. Whichever way you go get fitted genuine bushes

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

chrisc2306 (29th July 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys! I'm thinking I'm going to replace front and rear panhards, the tie rod definitely. What are your views on this bush kit? http://www.onlineautoparts.com.au/bu...-set/ZPN-02112

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would only get genuine bushes

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisc2306 View Post
    Thanks guys! I'm thinking I'm going to replace front and rear panhards, the tie rod definitely. What are your views on this bush kit? http://www.onlineautoparts.com.au/bu...-set/ZPN-02112
    Rubbish. Buy Rubber, buy OEM.

If your looking to use your 4wd in the bush then the list below would be what I would be upgrading.

I would buy HD Lower trailing arms,
    HD Tie Rod
    HD Drag Link
    Replace upper trailing arm bushes if needed?? Would be surprised if you needed them?
    Front radius arm bushes Rubber OEM Only.

Your 2" lift should not need an adjustable Panard front or rear, if you need bushes though then certainly consider HD Panards

The above list is some big coin though mate.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

chrisc2306 (31st July 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you want to throw some money around I would only upgrade your Tie Rod, and don't bother with poly style bushes, you will only be changing them again real soon. My 2 inch lifted GQ only had the mods below and I was very hard on my rig(not stupid just adventurous ha ha) and never had any problems, it behaved well on the road. I did camp road at cruiser park many times and jumped the old girl quite more than I'd like too on the old sneaky sand dune.

2 inch lift
    *Rubber genuine style bushes
    *Terrain tamer Steer Damper - rubber style bushes - converted to eye to eye instead of factory pin to pin for better response
    *Road runner offroad Heavy duty chromoly tie rod and heavy duty tie rod ends(bent original into spaghetti many times), with gu steer box conversion. Broke 2 steer boxes before I made the switch, has been 2 years since a broken box now. Those chromoly tie rods have lifetime warranty against breaking or bending.

I now have four inch's of lift and have upgraded much more than that, but only because I had to to get the steering and diff geometry back in spec. If you are rough on the old girl you cant go past a good set of rear lower trailing arms, roadrunneroffroad does good quality ones for a good price. You will not really need upper adjustables at 2 inches. Your adjustment will be so small the benefit would be very minimal. I have never broken a single arm on mine but I have seen quite a few bent and broken rear lower trailing arms and as such i now have chromoly lowers.

Hope that helps ya make up your mind dude

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your advice guys its much appreciated its nice to know what is worth upgrading and what is not no point in throwing money away!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another noob question sorry in advance, but on my warrant sheet it says that the front suspension lower arm bushes also need replaced are these called by another name because I can't seem to find them

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisc2306 View Post
    Another noob question sorry in advance, but on my warrant sheet it says that the front suspension lower arm bushes also need replaced are these called by another name because I can't seem to find them
    If your talking about the arms that go from the chassis to the diff, they are called radius arm bushes. Get them from patrol-a-part. Cheapest genuine bushes.
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lhurley For This Useful Post:

chrisc2306 (31st July 2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast