Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TD42T 'dieseling' running on after turning off ignition shuddering

Hi guys,

I thought I'd make a separate post to my catch can install so it is hopefully easier to search for.

I don't know how many other people have it/had it or if they fixed it so I'll give you some background for my particular situation.

I have a 99 TD42T non intercooled wagon and I noticed that there was some oil 'stains' appearing around the intake piping connections.

After a bit more investigation I found oil residue pre-turbo - the only way for this to occur is for oil blow by from the crankcase ventilation.
    I had read about and been told its probably not the greatest thing to have oil in there so I went about and fitted an oil catchcan (detailed in one of my other threads)

Since having fitted it I've found that there is actually not a lot blow by really, certainly nowhere near enough to be concerned about but the accumulated amount over time (and thinned by engine heat) was showing.

So to the point of this thread. As a side issue, the patrol sometimes tended to randomly run on (rattle, misfire, fart...) for a second or 2 after switching it off. It annoyed me as it sounded like a bucket of rusty bolts rattling around.
    I had read in other members posts about leaking pumps/injectors (I even read a 'mechanic' say it can't be stopped on a diesel engine...) etc but now that its done a couple thousand k's since the catch can going in, I can say with some confidence my running on issue has basically stopped so it appears that the small amount of oil vapour & residue was apparently enough to be the cause of it.

I had also planned on replacing the injectors and overhauling the pump (which I still want to do regardless due to its age) because of this issue but I would venture to say that in my case it wouldn't have fixed anything.

And that's my input for the day, now on to more important things...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to _Laurie For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (20th May 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that post Laurie, it's very interesting. I used to work on a mates marine diesels in a cray boat and there was a possibility that they could break and exhaust or oil pipe and run on their own oil vapour. Not a good thing because you wouldn't be able to shut them down. So yes diesels can run on their own fumes. I knew one guy that had a large spring loaded butterfly valve in his air intake and a string holding it open tied up to the control console. The idea was that if all else failed he word cut the string and choke the engine. Don't know if it was ever used in anger or if it would have worked though.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know about the 4.2 but on a ZD30 this is controlled by a vacuum operated solenoid that is located on top of the engine (under the IC). If the vacuum hose breaks or if the wiring/plug is damaged it runs on after switch off. May be the same on a 4.2?