Thread: Steering issues - steering too light

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steering issues - steering too light

Hey all, the steering on my Y60 is extremely light. It's so light that you could steer it with your nose....
    This is really annoying when driving on highways. The car just had a 4-wheel alignment done, but it's still this way.
    It feels like the steering servo is on steroids.

Any advice is most appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,496 Times in 6,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How high is the lift on it?

Either it needs Caster correction or a little Toe In to fix it. If the wheel aligned set it with a neutral Toe then it will be hard to keep it straight as it will want to wander wherever.

If it has a big lift and no caster correction then it's standing on its toes so to speak and steers fast and often.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

mudnut (26th July 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also check that the rear of the vehicle sets level with or a little but higher than the nose.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lift kit is an OME 976 2". Below are the numbers from the 4-wheel alignment done at the garage last week. I'm not entirely sure how to read the document, but the general car handling improved quite a bit after the adjustment.

Front axle
    Caster was left untouched (left: 1°24', right: 1°18'). According to this doc, specifications says min 2°20' and max 3°20
    Camber was also left untouched (left: 0°30', right: 0°06'). Specs min 0°00', max 1°00'
    Toe was adjusted from total: 1°18', left: 0°33', right: 0°45' to total: 0°24', left: 0°12', right: 0°12'
    SAI (not sure what this is) seems untouched at left: 7°33', right: 7°42'
    "Included angle" (not sure what this is... and it's translated by me , seems untouched as well - left: 8°03', right: 7°48'

Rear axle
    Camber was untouched at left: -0°12', right: -0°06'
    Toe was adjusted from total: 1°30', left: 0°54', right: 0°36' to total 1°33', left: 0°54', right: 0°39'
    Thrust angle adjusted from 0°09' to 0°08'

Any thoughts on these numbers?

I also wonder if it could be slightly sagging on the rear right spring, so I will take the car to a level pad and measure the distance from wheelhub center to wheel arches. Unless there is a better method of checking whether it sets level.

Thanks!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 1991 Safari and thought there were no adjustments that could be made apart from tow in/out on front axle. Rear diff is limited slip. Am I wrong? I have never had any alignment work done over last 13 years for obvious reasons but have just put four new tires on so want to do anything I can to minimize wear.
    Lee

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    yeah i am not sure how he made adjustments on the rear axle either?? Odd.I am not aware of any adjustment for Toe or Camber available on the rear axle of a GQ or a GU.

Not sure what the "Thrust" angle is either? how did he adjust that?

ON the front of a GQ there is No Camber adjustment available and the only Caster correction available would involve new Caster Correction bushes in the front radius arms.

Toe in and out is the only adjustment on a factory tie rod.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    IO'd say you need some caster correction bushes for a 2d correction, this will take the flighty out of the steering and calm it down a little

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be the alignment setup or the castor.

If the alignment is set to slight toe IN, it will turn well but not track as straight, where as slight toe OUT, will track straight but be lazy to turn.
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhurley View Post
    It will be the alignment setup or the castor. If the alignment is set to slight toe IN, it will turn well but not track as straight, where as slight toe OUT, will track straight but be lazy to turn.
    On the front of Rear wheel driven cars the wheels are set to toe in so the front wheel flick out when the car is driving forwards, on front wheel driven cars the front wheels are set to toe out so the wheels flick in when you drive forwards. Does that make sense ??