Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reversing the air scoop findings

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reversing the air scoop findings

For those that havn't read my last post I have gone water to air on my 06 4.2tdi. As the scoop is no longer required I have reversed the scoop to see if I can achieve some sort of airflow to get rid of some engine heat. Something like the A9X Torana and Chevy Camero and also of course the old hot rodders favourite raising the bonnet with some wedges to get that airflow effect.

After removing the scoop and rubber surround I find only two of the holes line up and the front of the scoop ( now the rear ie the closet to the windscreen) does not sit pround to the bonnet. At this point in time I figure this doesn't matter much as I am only fart arsing arround to see if the revsal has any effect.

Next I get a piece of paper towel and cut one side into fine pieces and then I stick it over the opening. I now have a birds eye view of what is goin to happen. Start the truck up and low an behold the fine meshed peice of paper towel flicks out to the windscreen. This is of course the engine fan pushing air out the vent. All good so far.

I start moving the truck and the paper towel flicks out a lot quicker lookin good reach 40 k and all of the sudden the paper towel flicks the other way indicating the air is now flowing back into the motor cavity not lookin good. After drivin for a while an reaching speeds of upwards of 80k the air is continueing to flow back into the engine bay this is not what I wanted.

I come back home and move the paper towel further into the scoop cavity figuring the air flow over the scoop might be having an adverse effect on things but alas this achieves nothing.

Have been driving for three days like this and the flow seems to work up to about 40k in speed then all goes to shit with the flow going back into the engine bay once speed goes over the 40k mark. I have noticed though the area in opening of the scoop closet to the guard (about a third of the opening) the flow seems to be comming out towards the screen when doin 80k. Go figure.

So summing up I think there is some benifit in what I wanted to achieve but I was supprised at how much flow was going back into the motor . I think there is enough merit in the idea for me to go ahead and make a proper install drilling some new holes to make it a flush fitting.

Cheers Gary
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [/SIGPIC]The old girl like me well past the use by date

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary Vansleve For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (24th July 2014), Stropp (25th July 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,523 Times in 6,609 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is a fair bit of interesting information about forward v reverse facing scoops.

There is a low pressure area on top of the centre of the bonnet and back towards the windscreen. The Nissan forward scoop is proven to be fairly inefficient as its quite low on the bonnet and stuck in the low pressure area, the ARE scoop is the same size but about 50mm taller to catch the overflow of air bouncing off the low pressure area.

Those running a bonnet protector actually make it worse again and this creates an even larger low pressure zone. God help the guys that have fitted their LED light bar on top of the top bar of their bull bar! They have got no hope!! They are costing themselves H! Decreasing the efficiency of the Scoop and the Intercooler by enormous amounts.

S what you have hit on is the low pressure zone. Upto 40kp/h the rear scoop acts as an exhaust for the engine bay, exit air flow that is being forced through the radiator. Once you hit above that speed the air reverses and the draw from under the car sucks clean air from the radiator and the scoop, either and both should be giving you cooling engine bay temps.

It would be interesting for you to turn the scoop forward with the same tapes and see how much flow goes in there and at what speed. You would be surprised and disappointed I reckon.

I remember reading a fair bit when ARE where first developing their scoop. Plenty of bonnet tests. Postit note tabs folded to stand straight up would also work very well
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,523 Times in 6,609 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also interesting that your bonnet has the centre bulge lifting the scoop high from the start.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post

It would be interesting for you to turn the scoop forward with the same tapes and see how much flow goes in there and at what speed. You would be surprised and disappointed I reckon.
    Your not wrong mate. I've noticed on mine with a factory scoop if there is water on the bonnet it does matter what speed I'm doing the drops of water never run back towards the scoop and at some speeds you can watch the water actually run towards the front of the bonnet away from the scoop. I've got a bonnet protecter I've never tried it without that on there might give that a go and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    not to be a party pooper but pretty sure you're not allowed to have scoops facing the rear.
    point being if you split a hose etc it will cover your windscreen and impair your vision.
    Happy to be wrong ,but that's my take on it

If you have a bulbar fitted chances are your scoop isn't working very well if at all
    blue tack cotton on the bonnet you'll see what I mean.

They say a STD scoop will not work till 85kph the larger ARE scoop works at lower speeds they say 65kph
    plus they have vanes directing air to the front of the IC
    Attached Images Attached Images
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

8. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

@GUte (25th July 2014)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's some more variables to add to your tests:

Underbody armour
    Whether the rubber flaps between the engine bay and wheel arch are installed.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to P4trol For This Useful Post:

@GUte (25th July 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should be happy with the results as it proves the original theory of the reversed scoop

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    get one like winnie! that thing looks boss!
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These good ol boys proved it years ago , 1406241808589.jpg
    If ya not using it buy a prius .....

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gaddy For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (25th July 2014), Winnie (25th July 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The air rushing under the car possibly creates a vacuum under bonnet you should put an air temp probe under and measure how hot it's getting, could you also decrease the efficiency of your radiator by allowing another open air path? The vacuum could be forcing more air through radiator !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast