Thread: To LPG or not to LPG

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To LPG or not to LPG

I have a 1991 Safari GY60 4.2 TD42 EFI and am thinking of fitting duel fuel system. Would like to hear thoughts on which brand of LPG system works the best with this engine?
    Also info on how you have found these engines perform while running on LPG, power difference, fuel consumption etc.
    Look forward to your feedback.
    Lee

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the cost of ulp in NZ, a LPG conversion is a yes. I have sequential injection in my GU and more than happy with it.
    1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado è tratto

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same as np99, injected gas, it's works well. Not much power or economy difference
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assuming you meant a TB42EFI

Mate with a tb42EFI gets around 21 on LPG (I get 24 with a carby Tb42)

Personally I would not add LPG to a vehicle, considering the cost of the conversion, the increased risk of doing your head (very common for LPG TB42's). and the amount of fuel you are using. To Recover the conversion cost you are looking at do a LOT of KMs. I purchased my 91 GQ with LPG already fitted.

Also you have reduced range - I currently get around 600Km from a a tank of LPG and 50 Litres of petrol. (Im bout to replace my belly tank as it has a BIG dent in it.

You will have a little bit less power.

FYI anotheer mate just dropped 2.5K on converting his 80 Series to injected - he recons there are a little bit less power
    1991 GQ LWB 4.2 Carby dual fuel, 32 mud claws, 2 inch lift, LSD's front and back

And its Toooooooo High for the Ball & chain

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQ TANK View Post
    I assuming you meant a TB42EFI

Mate with a tb42EFI gets around 21 on LPG (I get 24 with a carby Tb42)

Personally I would not add LPG to a vehicle, considering the cost of the conversion, the increased risk of doing your head (very common for LPG TB42's). and the amount of fuel you are using. To Recover the conversion cost you are looking at do a LOT of KMs. I purchased my 91 GQ with LPG already fitted.

Also you have reduced range - I currently get around 600Km from a a tank of LPG and 50 Litres of petrol. (Im bout to replace my belly tank as it has a BIG dent in it.

You will have a little bit less power.

FYI anotheer mate just dropped 2.5K on converting his 80 Series to injected - he recons there are a little bit less power
    The cost of ulp in NZ ranged from $2.14 to about $2.46 a litre. You would recover that conversion cost faster than in OZ.
    1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado è tratto

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your gonna gas it theres really only 2 systems to choose from if you want the best.
    1 - prins gas injection i have found through testing of avaliable systems to be the best system to use on a car. itl take anything you wanna do to it, and its what i use for everything, even my twin turbo aristo.
    2 - impco is the cheaper alternitive. if you want a good reliable system that wont let you down and can handle a snorkle or any forced induction they are the next best thing. ( also gas research is just as good if tuned right. )
    I personly still like gas as it does have its advantages over petrol but every one has there own opionion, i just hope this helps you make an informed choice.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your feedback guys much appreciated. "GQ Tank" you are correct it is TB42 it has ECCS marked on top of the Throttle Body.
    Petrol prices here average $2.10-$2.20 /ltr with LPG fairly steady at $1.30. This is in Auckland so prices in other parts of the country are higher.
    I currently get around 300 Klm from 50ltr petrol with tank capacity of 80ltr.
    I don't really want to reduce the petrol capacity by cutting down the tank to install LPG tanks. Any thoughts on where LPG tanks can be mounted and type of tank or tanks are best to use?
    Lee

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They normally run a belly tank for petrol, or if you were to have dual petrol tanks, it would be your sub tank.

Mines got a belly tank for petrol and a gas tank up the back. You can sometimes run them in the back but that takes up a lot of room, not to mention, a f ing huge gas tank inside your car
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our tanks are the same as lhurley's. Most I've put in is 108L of LPG and 72L of petrol.

I'd say do your sums carefully before paying to convert, ours was dual fuel when we bought it. I don't have recent figures for general economy, but I know it's bad. We used 40L LPG per hundred towing our single axle van up the great dividing range from Bateman's Bay (NSW coast). My son was complaining about how hot his feet were in the back, and later I realised there's no heat shield over the exhaust just there. Says something for how much fuel we were putting through it though.

For general hwy driving (not towing) I think we were getting about 18L /100km on petrol and 24L/100km on LPG. Ours is a carbie TB42 with an auto.
    1989 GQ LWB Wagon, TB42 Petrol/LPG Auto. Bought Dec 2010