Thread: GQ leaf sprung ute to coil wagon chassis conversion

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ leaf sprung ute to coil wagon chassis conversion

G'day guys I know there is probably threads on this somewhere on here but I'm still learning how to use the forum and my search didn't really help out much. I have a gq ute td42 which is leaf all round and I have a wagon which is obviously coil all around. The wagon chassis is immaculate but the body is rough. (What do you expect when you paid 600 bucks for the whole car I guess.) the wagon has a tb42 petty in it. My plan is to do a clean swap of engines body and drivelines. Therefore turning my ute into a coil cab. Can anyone tell me how this will go with passing a roadworthy etc. obviously I need a blue plate but will I get one without any worries? (Qld) also will the td engine bolt in where the tb engine went without having to change mounts? Is there anything else I should be particularly worried about? I know about the guards off the ute not fitting on the front due to the shock tower so I will be using the wagon ones. And I know I will need to modify the rear body mounts to suit the tray. Any help will be greatly appreciated because I want to get it done with as little drama as possible. Thank you

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,494 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It should be pretty straight forward mate.

There is a cople of threads worth watching, our member BloodyAussie is just about to do the engine swap in this thread

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...sel-conversion

The cab swap should be easy enough but I don't know the QLD issues, should be simple though.

Good luck, take heaps of pics and do a build thread for us mate, keen to see the progress.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you thought about putting proper link suspension on the leafy chassis the there is more room to build a really good setup
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did consider it but it is going to work out for cheaper to do the conversion. The chassis of the wagon already has a decent 3" dobinsons setup in it with a bit of superior gear. That's why I went that way. Like I said 600 bucks for the whole car I can't go wrong haha

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly keen to follow your progress so lots of pics from beginning to end would be great. Good luck with it. Should be a good opportunity to remove rust etc. I have been doing some work on my 1991 Safari LWB wagon and have found that anywhere with rubber under-seal is rust free with everywhere else having surface rust at least. With under-seal as cheap as chips I have cleaned surface rust off everywhere I can get to and painted with Hammeright and then top coated with under-seal. I have even done this with the back side of my bumpers which as most will know are subject to severe rust issues. Hoping all this under-sealing will increase the life of the old beast. Also doing a full re-paint.
    Lee