Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Turbo'd GQ TB42 EFI Help!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 615 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's nothing you can tune with a stock ECU that can change fuel mixtures. You'll need an engine management system for that. I believe Nistune are a popular choice for the 4.2 EFI.

A good fuel pressure regulator is a must. A 1 to 1 ratio boost reference will increase the fuel pressure by 1 psi for each psi of boost. This will compensate for the injectors trying to open against the increased manifold pressure.
    It's common practice to also raise the base fuel pressure but this will cause rich idle if the ECU can't adjust sufficiently.
    It can also make the standard fuel pump work harder.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

Mick Patroln (23rd July 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok yeh ive heard of nistune sounds like the way to go. I will look into the fuel regulator too then! thanks for your info john.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im runnning a 4psi turbo on my tb42e, to get it runnig you will need the ecu remapped, a nistune board fitted to the stock ecu is the cheapest/easiest way here, you will also more than likely need bigger fuel injectors(mine couldnt keep up at 4000rpm on 4psi) and quite possibly a bigger fuel pump.|you dont need an aftermarket fuel reg the std one is a 1:1 ratio and works fine

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An adjustable fuel reg will allow you to increase the fuel pressure and might just be enough to avoid changing the injectors.

This is an extract from some of my research for my own turbo install:

"Can I raise my fuel pressure instead of fitting larger injectors?
    Raising fuel pressure will flow more fuel through your injectors, which can be a great option if you are near the limit of your injectors. There is a limit to how much more fuel pressure you can run safely, though, and the extra fuel pressure will also make life harder for your fuel pump. Raising your fuel pressure is only really viable if you are looking for another five to 10 percent injector flow, otherwise you are better to fit larger injectors. "
    Last edited by jff45; 24th July 2014 at 07:35 PM.
    John

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mick are you running LPG or Natural Gas?

Lee

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billyj View Post
    im runnning a 4psi turbo on my tb42e, to get it runnig you will need the ecu remapped, a nistune board fitted to the stock ecu is the cheapest/easiest way here, you will also more than likely need bigger fuel injectors(mine couldnt keep up at 4000rpm on 4psi) and quite possibly a bigger fuel pump.|you dont need an aftermarket fuel reg the std one is a 1:1 ratio and works fine
    hi billy mate so dose yours ping at that boost what have you done to fix this and have you had it dyno'd interested to know wat you made at tyres?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sprdad View Post
    Hi Mick are you running LPG or Natural Gas?

Lee
    running lpg mate goes a lot harder than on fuel but tunning is a pain .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are you running the stock dizzy still because you need to have your dizzy retard under boost or at least limit its advance. the stock advance will be too much when boost comes on which will cause pinging. i would think that would more likely be your problem as if it was dyo tuned then you fuel mixtures woulda been checked and set accordingly. i had a 4k corolla that i supercharged. with a stock dizzy it would ping and killed plugs but i took out that dizzy and ran a welded ( fixed ) dizzy to stop the advance and the problem was fixed.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warner01 View Post
    are you running the stock dizzy still because you need to have your dizzy retard under boost or at least limit its advance. the stock advance will be too much when boost comes on which will cause pinging. i would think that would more likely be your problem as if it was dyo tuned then you fuel mixtures woulda been checked and set accordingly. i had a 4k corolla that i supercharged. with a stock dizzy it would ping and killed plugs but i took out that dizzy and ran a welded ( fixed ) dizzy to stop the advance and the problem was fixed.
    yeh bud the dizzy is stock ive replaced it once already with a second hand one and still pinged as far as rebuilding one goes I carnt find the parts to do it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mick, you can't do anything with the dizzy. All timing advance or retard is controlled by the ECU.
    You won't be able to adjust fuel or timing under boost until you get an engine management system. Either a Nistune daughterboard or a piggyback system, etc.
    John

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast