Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY CV and Swivel Hub Rebuild Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Push / press the new bearing on using the vice.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx for creating this thread mate.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dom14 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (11th January 2016)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is any one able to clarify which way round the metal scraper ring goes on?
    I tried assembling the way it looks MR did it and it wasn't going together well at all so i swapped it round the other way and everything went in beautifully.
    Basically, the scraper ring is shaped a bit like a Z... I have fitted mine so that one end of the Z sits inside swivel housing and the other end of the Z sits outside the scraper seal... further to the desription... the way that I have fitted the scraper ring matches the profile of the step inside the swivel housing.

Also, what do you mean MR when you say "bed the scraper seals in"?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bexi View Post
    Is any one able to clarify which way round the metal scraper ring goes on?
    I tried assembling the way it looks MR did it and it wasn't going together well at all so i swapped it round the other way and everything went in beautifully.
    Basically, the scraper ring is shaped a bit like a Z... I have fitted mine so that one end of the Z sits inside swivel housing and the other end of the Z sits outside the scraper seal... further to the desription... the way that I have fitted the scraper ring matches the profile of the step inside the swivel housing.

Also, what do you mean MR when you say "bed the scraper seals in"?
    Hi mate I had to go and re read what I wrote to get the context. When I wrote Bed I am talking about the rubber seals and the steal scraper, they will seat or bed into each other and really only go 1 way. There is no mistake, when they seat in you will know, sounds like you got it. I had another look at the pic and things are in the right way, maybe the pic lack a little clarity though, I can just make out the shape of the scraper. Just.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just took some pics... It goes this way right??
    20160111_204557.jpg

And NOT this way
    20160111_204610.jpg

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry mate it's difficult to tell without having it in front of me. Match the steal ring to the rubber seals as a 3some. That will clarify how it sits into the hub. Then the retaining plates will sit flat over them. Mock fit them and the plates onto the back and it should be pretty clear.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok thanks for your help.
    I did do a mock fit and it all sits beautifully if steel ring is fitted as in first pic.... I just wasn't sure if it needed to be fitted the other way and then all squashed in tight when doing up the bolts.
    One last question... do you know what this washer is for?
    (Gu hubs by the way)
    20160111_204454.jpg
    Last edited by bexi; 12th January 2016 at 12:02 AM. Reason: add

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post

So firstly THE MOST IMPORTANT Information!

Attachment 55098
    In the pic above you have all the info you need to get the job done.

The numbers below each of the tightening points are read like this N-m. kg-m. ft-lb
    i.e.Lock nut - 167 - 196 (17 - 20, 123 - 145) = 167-196Nm, 17-20kg-m, 123-145ft-lb

The Black Circle Dot with the white X indicated the item should be replaced every time the hub is stripped.
    The Grease gun symbol indicates to pack the seal lip with the recommended grease.

That is a snip from the opening post in this thread. The washer you are holding is pictured in the middle of that diagram and is called a Lock Washer and sits under the top nut holding the wheel bearings on. If you have GU setup and are using the round nuts with the holes then this is redundant.

If you click on the second small pic there is is much clearer and it will blow up.

Note also that the exploded diagram is there for the scraper seals too mate.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (12th January 2016)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes i read the whole thread before posting and now that you say that, I can see what you mean..... I just found it difficult to read the diagram and the pictures were not clear for my dodgy eyes.
    Thank you so much for your help

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey. I am wanting to do this rebuild in the next few months. What are good brands of kits to get and where to get them.
    Been looking on ebay, are the drivetech 4x4 ones any good. They use the toyo bearings.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast