Thread: DIY CV and Swivel Hub Rebuild Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 13,451 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scubasteve View Post
    Im trying to keep costs down a bit so looking at a kit on ebay. Im wondering if it looks like it will include everything thats needed.
    This is the one im looking at mainly because it includes the 54mm socket for the hub nuts.
    http://r.ebay.com/trN1oF
    cheers

It has Japanese bearings and I think looks like good value.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

K1W1 (18th August 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent thread from start to finish, this is a job I will have to do in the near future and as I only get home for a few weeks at a time would like to have everything ready to go to complete the job in a day if I can. I will get one of those Kits mentioned above and look for the bearing and seal tools

Thanks
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
    Excellent thread from start to finish, this is a job I will have to do in the near future and as I only get home for a few weeks at a time would like to have everything ready to go to complete the job in a day if I can. I will get one of those Kits mentioned above and look for the bearing and seal tools
    No dramas mate. Have a look at the first post and you will find I embedded a link to buy each of the tools for your interest. Glad it helps.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am looking now, I see the mob you got your Bearing and Seal set off claims one left, I am having a look for one in NZ to save the shipping hassle. I have asked a mate in TSV to buy me the bearing set and bring it ti NZ when they come next month. I will be away till Dec and want everything ready to go when I get there.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When doing the swivel bearings how do you determine the preload on the bearings?

I see there are various shims available to adjust it if it is tight but I am curious how you determine the right setting.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
    When doing the swivel bearings how do you determine the preload on the bearings?

I see there are various shims available to adjust it if it is tight but I am curious how you determine the right setting.
    To be honest i never have. I replace the shims that come out and thats it. I have never measures that preload other than by feel.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,343 Times in 3,165 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fantastic write up and pictures, MR. Thank you for putting in such a great effort.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (22nd August 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post Daz! This is a job I need to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (22nd August 2014)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For my part, a truly awesome post. I am about to overhaul my front hubs and until this post felt a bit lost despite having the manual at hand. Its posts like these that make this forum so good. Many thanks for the guidance.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Conradk For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (31st October 2014)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "The Bearing Driver kit Less than $50 and Highly recommend one of these to everyone!!)"

Where the hell did you get that price from?..lol cant find one on ebay for less than $90
    Had a 1999 GU ST Patrol 4.5L Auto on Dual Fuel ...now have a 2003 GU ST ZD30TD Auto.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast