Thanked 13,451 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kon View Post
    Never mind... apparently not...
    Yeah that is a NO!!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Yeah that is a NO!!
    Just done my entire front end, still getting death wobbles & it’s driving me nuts...

Anyhow thought I’d remove the shims just in case they were the cause, diff oil pouring out...

Back to the drawing board.....

Found these babies tho.... just waiting on them.
    https://www.superiorengineering.com....iesel4.2%2C2.8

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tryan277 View Post
    Great bit of info here and finally found out why there are two circlip grooves..

"Note there are 2 groove on the axle. The circlip will fit into that groove. The inside groove is used when you have auto hubs and the groove near the end of the axle is used when you have manual hubs."

I had just pulled the drivers side apart - first time since we have had the vehicle and it has manual hubs and the previous person who pulled it apart had put the circlip in the auto hub groove.

What I would like to know it how do you dismantle the manual hub. The manual shows a circlip...but where?
    Pictures attached
    Attachment 80199
    Attachment 80200
    You will need to lift the 6 dowels out...they are a pain...then you can rotate the yoke out. Fun job...

We're all ere coz we ain't all there.
    Quad-Drive 4WD Club...Western Australia

We're all here coz we ain't all there...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB TD42 View Post
    You will need to lift the 6 dowels out...they are a pain...then you can rotate the yoke out. Fun job...

We're all ere coz we ain't all there.
    Thanks for that but mudski had also pointed me in the right direction
    See here
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...today!/page943
    I was lucky a few sharp blows on some timber and the pins came out
    Cheers Trevor

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greeting nissanpatrol.com.au. I’m Mario, from the Philippines. Thanks for approving my application to join.
    Just want to say thank you to @MudRunnerTD for this thread. I just did my front end. It was a fun project for this quarantine time (here in our part of the world). I haven’t had a chance to drive it yet, but will do soon. Hope things go well.
    Thanks again.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kon View Post
    Just done my entire front end, still getting death wobbles & it’s driving me nuts...

Anyhow thought I’d remove the shims just in case they were the cause, diff oil pouring out...

Back to the drawing board.....

Found these babies tho.... just waiting on them.
    https://www.superiorengineering.com....iesel4.2%2C2.8
    Have you put the Superior axle seal in yet? how did they go?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys,

Just did the passenger side swivel hub gaskets seals and new kingpin bearings. The hub seals and wheel bearings looked pretty nice and straight so repacked with grease and, while I was there, replaced the brake rotor and pads. That's on my RHD UK, 2003 GR Y61 (or GU Y61). Followed these gold mine instructions and everything was as easy as saying hello. So big thanks to the author of this thread . Hopefully will do the drivers side tomorrow and the rear discs and pad next week end.

Now, when I removed the kingpins, I messed up at some point and lost the bottom adjusting shim. Dunno if I'd thrown it in the bin with some greasy paper towels or what but I just couldn't find it, and it drove me crazy. So I ended up with only one left... So I decided to fit both kingpins without the shims. Obviously, will have to fit the drivers side without those shims for "good" balance. Other than that, I guess I did everything "right". Question is: will that affect in anyway the driving as there will be no shims after the full rebuild?

Thanks guys for bringing some light here!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gr2y61 View Post
    Hi guys,

Just did the passenger side swivel hub gaskets seals and new kingpin bearings. The hub seals and wheel bearings looked pretty nice and straight so repacked with grease and, while I was there, replaced the brake rotor and pads. That's on my RHD UK, 2003 GR Y61 (or GU Y61). Followed these gold mine instructions and everything was as easy as saying hello. So big thanks to the author of this thread . Hopefully will do the drivers side tomorrow and the rear discs and pad next week end.

Now, when I removed the kingpins, I messed up at some point and lost the bottom adjusting shim. Dunno if I'd thrown it in the bin with some greasy paper towels or what but I just couldn't find it, and it drove me crazy. So I ended up with only one left... So I decided to fit both kingpins without the shims. Obviously, will have to fit the drivers side without those shims for "good" balance. Other than that, I guess I did everything "right". Question is: will that affect in anyway the driving as there will be no shims after the full rebuild?

Thanks guys for bringing some light here!
    Leave them as you found them if you can. But you are putting in new king pin bearings so the shims required could well be different now anyway.

I would leave the others as you find them and after you have it back together just ensure the wheel turns without restriction. The possibility is that removing the shim may make the King pin bearing tighter clamped down so the steering will be heavier.

Some take out a shim if the get the dreaded wheel wobble to some success.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 2nd September 2020 at 03:55 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm half way of rebuilding the drivers side, managed to remove everything but was harder though. Looks like this side was never been touched before. Snapped the abs sensor bolt but managed to remove the sensor without damage. Will need to remove the thread bit left in the knuckle. The swivel hub itself is nasty inside with lots of grease and muddy mix.
    Lots of work ahead tomorrow.

In the mean time, while I finished fitting the nearside I turned the troll back to get the offside near the kerb (working in front of me house lol). But I could already feel a huge improvement while turning the steering wheel and that is with the passenger side wheel bearing completely loose. When I raised the wheel off the road and checked the wheel, there was a big play when moving the wheel top to bottom. So now parts are removed and now need to get rid of that rust and make it again again nice and clean.

Will update to tell how things went after a test drive on the highway and see if it's wobble free without shims. Cheers

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gr2y61 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (3rd September 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So I thought I would add these pics to this thread. Currently doing front wheel bearings only on the GUIV. I bought the bearings from the 4WD Shed off ebay. They came with a seal too.

The back seal gets destroyed when removing so was keen to get them too. Well this is the seal that turned up.....

It seems that at some point some smart bloke have merged to 2 seals needed into 1!!

The new seal may well be 2 seals conveniently pressed into each other but I'm not going to risk splitting them for the sake of confirming its 1 or 2. This is an upgrade.

Also... those bloody M4 screws would have to be the Softest metal I have ever found in a screw. I will swap them out for some M4 Allen key jobs only because I have some. M4 x 10mm is what you need and a Phillips Head would be great.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Hodge (18th April 2021), MB (19th April 2021)

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast