Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

DIY CV and Swivel Hub Rebuild Thread

OK So one of the big maintenance items that we may attempt at home is a CV swap or Swivel Hub Rebuild. I have done this a Few times and have had these pics ready to go for ever!! I have referenced them a few times to members and thought it was time i actually did this thread so here it is!

A Comprehensive Swivel Hub Rebuild Thread (Hopefully)

So firstly THE MOST IMPORTANT Information!

Screen shot 2015-02-16 at 12.16.25 PM.png
    In the pic above you have all the info you need to get the job done.

The numbers below each of the tightening points are read like this N-m. kg-m. ft-lb
    i.e.Lock nut - 167 - 196 (17 - 20, 123 - 145) = 167-196Nm, 17-20kg-m, 123-145ft-lb

The Black Circle Dot with the white X indicated the item should be replaced every time the hub is stripped.
    The Grease gun symbol indicates to pack the seal lip with the recommended grease.

I have always used Nulon Extreme grease for all my jobs but recently changed to LM grease for the bearings after we did Healys front end.

You will need a Heap of Rags. Lots of them. I also use paper towel as it can get really messy and you will waist a heap of rags.

You will need a clean place to work if you can and jack stands.

Tools will include:a
    • 1/2" Metric socket set
    • Metric Allen Keys
    • Pointy Nose Pliers
    • Vice Grips
    • Multi grips
    • Brass Drift or Cold Chistel
    • Soft face Hammer
    • Big Hammer
    • Vice would be bloody handy!

Things i have purchased and rate very highly are the following:
    • Lip seal remover
    • Seal/Bearing Insert Kit
    • Bearing grease press

I also recommend a couple of trays to lay stuff out in and somewhere to put all the bolts and nuts as you take it all off. Stay organised and you will do this easily.

Lip seal removal tool (less than $20)
    SP56.jpg
    MECHANICS-SEAL-PULLER-REMOVER-REMOVAL-HAND-TOOL

The Bearing Driver kit Less than $50 and Highly recommend one of these to everyone!!)
    10PC-AUTO-BUSHING-font-b-BEARING-b-font-RACE-AND-SEAL-font-b-DRIVERS-b-font.jpgrt9139.jpg
    Bearing-Race-and-Seal-Driver-Set-10-PCS-
    Cant believe how handy these kits are!!

and the Ducks Guts!! The bearing Grease Packer!! HELL YEAH!!
    orly_34550c.jpg
    There are a few different types that will do the same job. I love mine and it was about $50.
    Search eBay HERE for Bearing Packer
    Once you have used one of these you will Never go back!!

I have used the Terrain Tamer swivel hub rebuild kit a few times and am very happy with the quality of the kit.

As a rule i have always done the Swivel Hub rebuild, wheel bearings and King Pin bearings all at the same time. Doing this rebuild will transform how your front end feels and you will feel the difference through your steering wheel as soon as you drive.

Good Luck and dont hesitate to ask for help if you need it.

Let the Photo Bomb Begin!!!
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 16th February 2015 at 12:49 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

89GQ (7th November 2014), balum (14th December 2014), Buzzo (28th January 2024), Conradk (31st October 2014), Cruiser28 (15th December 2016), Dbcf79 (6th July 2017), dom14 (21st September 2017), FNqGu04 (14th January 2017), growler2058 (20th July 2016), Hodge (27th September 2017), im2xtreem (24th July 2019), ISA.13B (31st December 2014), kedocrott (25th October 2015), LandRoverGhost (22nd July 2019), MB (14th June 2018), New2town (7th July 2017), NissanGQ4.2 (20th July 2014), oldbloke (25th July 2015), OuchOne (20th May 2022), Parksy (20th July 2014), PhysicalGraffiti (16th October 2014), porkroll (21st December 2014), seehuusen (18th July 2022), warthog1 (7th May 2018), Warwick89 (13th October 2014), Woof (20th July 2014)