Thread: DIY CV and Swivel Hub Rebuild Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Out of curiosity, when did the round plate lock nut system migrate to the GQ - I have a june 1997 model, and have never sighted this assy. Will be handy to know from a spares perspective at very least.
    If you look up the part # it says for GQ / GU 1995 on-wards, but my 1992 GQ has this setup and don't think it was done by the previous owners before me, Say maybe it was only done on the TI's up until 1995, but in saying that doesn't explain why yours doesn't being a 97
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (5th January 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi MudRunner, first of brilliant thread thanks for taking the time to do this. I've read this thing from start to finish but I can't seem to find if you actually did replace the parts from the first pic with the white crosses like the O'ring, Lock washer and snap ring? My kit doesn't have them and am wondering if you can get away without replacing them?
    Thanks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Duggoo For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (4th February 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggoo View Post
    Hi MudRunner, first of brilliant thread thanks for taking the time to do this. I've read this thing from start to finish but I can't seem to find if you actually did replace the parts from the first pic with the white crosses like the O'ring, Lock washer and snap ring? My kit doesn't have them and am wondering if you can get away without replacing them?
    Thanks
    Gday mate. I just had a look at the diagram and you will be fine mate. Snap ring is fine unless you damage it. The l9ck washer is the same, only replace if you have killed it. It just bends over t9 lock the nut so not too concerning. If you bought a good kit like Terrain Tamer it will come with everything you need. If your kit did not come with Wheel Bearings you should invest and do them too.

Good luck. Any dramas yell out mate, happy to help.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    amazing<<<

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KSA For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (15th July 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Darren, Well presented mate and would offer something to many of us. The pics are certainly an improvement on those in my trusty old Haynes.

I will not be doing a a complete teardown of knuckle flange assy. A few yrs back replaced wheel bearings and recently changed out rotors and pads. What I will be doing is going in and replacing the inner axle seal, repacking wheel bearing and replacing the hub dust seal.

Looking for a heads up of method to remove the inner axle seal "only", with knuckle flange assy still in place. Have not yet stripped it down and no worries in getting to it. Any comment for inner axle seal removal would help?
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    Darren, Well presented mate and would offer something to many of us. The pics are certainly an improvement on those in my trusty old Haynes.

I will not be doing a a complete teardown of knuckle flange assy. A few yrs back replaced wheel bearings and recently changed out rotors and pads. What I will be doing is going in and replacing the inner axle seal, repacking wheel bearing and replacing the hub dust seal.

Looking for a heads up of method to remove the inner axle seal "only", with knuckle flange assy still in place. Have not yet stripped it down and no worries in getting to it. Any comment for inner axle seal removal would help?
    Just follow MRs steps up to number 4.... Last time I did my seal, we left the knuckle on. Just undid the king bearing plate so we could also repack those bearings with grease and cleaned out all the diff oil that had leaked in.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

Bidja (30th November 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Just follow MRs steps up to number 4.... Last time I did my seal, we left the knuckle on. Just undid the king bearing plate so we could also repack those bearings with grease and cleaned out all the diff oil that had leaked in.
    Sounds like the go, thanks for that.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Clunk, I have had the CV/axle out previously to inspect/re grease but did not pop the seal. Can U go in and get in behind seal and hook it toward you?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    Clunk, I have had the CV/axle out previously to inspect/re grease but did not pop the seal. Can U go in and get in behind seal and hook it toward you?
    Yes but the CV must be taken out first. Once out your good to go. Then the Lip Seal removal tool featured in the first post is your best friend.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 1st December 2018 at 06:35 AM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Bidja (1st December 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Yes but the CV must be taken out first. Once out your good to go. Then the Lip Seal removal tool featured in the first post is your best friend.
    Yeah do the job nicely, where a screw driver just won't do this one.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast