User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Fitting Side and Rear Awnings to Roofrack

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thread thanks and good pics too, appreciated.
    Is your roof rack an aluminium one? I am just looking at a few on fleabay now and wondered how you rate them??
    Like you I am thinking of going the ARB way for the awning and sides.

cheers
    Mark
    2012 GU8 ST CRD Platinum Silver with Tints, Factory Bar, IPFs, Snorkel, UHF, Maxtrax, Rated Recovery points front/rear, In dash Nav, Scangauge2, Ally Roof Rack, OME 2" Lift

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bindi View Post
    Great thread thanks and good pics too, appreciated.
    Is your roof rack an aluminium one? I am just looking at a few on fleabay now and wondered how you rate them??
    Like you I am thinking of going the ARB way for the awning and sides.

cheers
    Mark
    Yes it's an eBay full length 4 feet a side Aluminium rack. Had it about 5 years and am very very pleased with it. I leave it on full time and load it well for long distance touring without hesitation. I do t walk on it but certainly will climb up on top of it but avoid walking down the middle. A little respect for it being Aluminium for the Winn.

No hesitation, would buy again.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheers mate, just checking your other posts on this..........looks great and think i'll get one the same.
    2012 GU8 ST CRD Platinum Silver with Tints, Factory Bar, IPFs, Snorkel, UHF, Maxtrax, Rated Recovery points front/rear, In dash Nav, Scangauge2, Ally Roof Rack, OME 2" Lift

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant write up, thanks heaps mate

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awesome write up Darren. Would like to add, the following if you don't mind. Was over at Mudskis, few days ago. He wanted to see how my awning sits, as he was concerned his one sits pointing slightly upwards due to the nature of the roof racks bracket. Mine sits perfectly straight. I used these brackets. This also eliminated drilling through your roof rack.

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/products...cket-kit_31103

2005 TD42TI

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

skiman (18th May 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting. Wonder if these would interfere with the mesh on the barrier floor. Hodge, do you have the same rack as Darren? If so, can you post pics of what the brackets look like on your barrier please mate?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to skiman For This Useful Post:

Hodge (18th May 2015)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skiman View Post
    Very interesting. Wonder if these would interfere with the mesh on the barrier floor. Hodge, do you have the same rack as Darren? If so, can you post pics of what the brackets look like on your barrier please mate?
    I have a full ARB rack with mesh and the mesh does not interfere with the bolts. Here is a quick photo of mine.

2005 TD42TI

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

skiman (18th May 2015), Woof (11th June 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Awesome write up Darren. Would like to add, the following if you don't mind. Was over at Mudskis, few days ago. He wanted to see how my awning sits, as he was concerned his one sits pointing slightly upwards due to the nature of the roof racks bracket. Mine sits perfectly straight. I used these brackets. This also eliminated drilling through your roof rack.

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/products...cket-kit_31103

Mine sits a fair bit upwards. I don't think it will be a problem though I've only ever used it in light drizzle not torrential rain. I think the rain would just run towards the car
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally got my ARB Touring Awning this afternoon with a Rhino Rack Foxwing Bracket Kit for ARB. Was all set to put it on and couldnt figure out why the supplied U Bolts wouldnt fit over my lower tubing.

Got the calipers out, and they wont fit because THE DAMN OCAM INDUSTRIES ROOF RACK USES 32MM TUBING! And the bracket kits only work with 28mm tubing. Massive massive facepalm. Had one day to set this up before going camping on Friday and it's not gonna happen.

Then considered sandwiching the bracket between the foot plate and the roof rack tray.. only to find that the bracket holes are the wrong width. FML

Back to the drawing board. Will see if i can knock up an L bracket at work tomorrow and find some 32mm U bolts from a hardware place. ARB can have their $90 bracket kit back.

Oh, i forgot to mention, the bracket kit holes for the awning mount are too far apart. They're designed for a Foxwing awning.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skiman View Post
    I finally got my ARB Touring Awning this afternoon with a Rhino Rack Foxwing Bracket Kit for ARB. Was all set to put it on and couldnt figure out why the supplied U Bolts wouldnt fit over my lower tubing.

Got the calipers out, and they wont fit because THE DAMN OCAM INDUSTRIES ROOF RACK USES 32MM TUBING! And the bracket kits only work with 28mm tubing. Massive massive facepalm. Had one day to set this up before going camping on Friday and it's not gonna happen.

Then considered sandwiching the bracket between the foot plate and the roof rack tray.. only to find that the bracket holes are the wrong width. FML

Back to the drawing board. Will see if i can knock up an L bracket at work tomorrow and find some 32mm U bolts from a hardware place. ARB can have their $90 bracket kit back.

Oh, i forgot to mention, the bracket kit holes for the awning mount are too far apart. They're designed for a Foxwing awning.
    Interesting that the ARB rack is 28mm and the Ebay one is 32mm. Assuming tube wall thickness is comparable that makes the Ebay rack a better rack at half the price!!!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast