Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

DIY Fitting Side and Rear Awnings to Roofrack

Hi Guys,

I have fitted a pair of pull out awnings to my roofrack. I have gone a 2.4m long side awning and a 1.2m long rear awning. I chose ARB for both and got a good deal on the pair from the 4WD Show.

I like the rear awning for making lunch in the sun or the snow or rain. Works great. also have used it to provide shade to the fridge when parked up for a long time at camp too.

Here is a bit of a photo bomb.

So firstly, i fitted these to the rack before i fitted the rack to the roof. so it was a little easier but here it is

So you can see the back bone of the awning is a double slotted aluminium track.

This makes it pretty basic to be honest!

Good instructions in the book.

regardless of the brackets this is fundamentally how they mount! Simple and infinitely adjustable!

The mounting holes are 50mm spacing.

Overall the awning is about 95 to 100mm high when packed up. I then held a socket set at the top of the rack and measured down from there as i wanted the awning to be flush with the top of the top rail of the rack. THis was an error in hindsight and if i fitted it again i would have dropped it down 50mm or so to allow you to use the top rail of the rack to tie down to. Drives me nuts that i cant put a hook on the top rail on that side. VERY IMPORTANT!!

Measure, mark and drill.

The back corner

Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 19th July 2014 at 12:00 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

my third 256 (18th May 2015), NissanGQ4.2 (19th July 2014), skiman (17th May 2015), Woof (11th June 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Here the back one is fitted. I fitted it with the over hang to the passenger side as there is a side awning too.

Now for the side awing.

Easy As!! Very Very happy with my setup!

Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

blocko05 (22nd July 2015), Clunk (19th July 2014), Lemo79 (19th July 2014), my third 256 (18th May 2015), skiman (17th May 2015), Woof (11th June 2015)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the guide, mate, i'll hook into mine, this after noon i think. well depending of the weather.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Overall the awning is about 95 to 100mm high when packed up. I then held a socket set at the top of the rack and measured down from there as i wanted the awning to be flush with the top of the top rail of the rack. THis was an error in hindsight and if i fitted it again i would have dropped it down 50mm or so to allow you to use the top rail of the rack to tie down to. Drives me nuts that i cant put a hook on the top rail on that side. VERY IMPORTANT!!
    Can't drill a hole into the top rail at various points and put in ss eye bolts or u bolts?

I suppose in doing that though you run the chance that water gets into the rail and starts rusting on the inside.
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate that's a simple fix, I've cut trailer leaf bushes I had laying around as a spacer to make the awning sit vertical rather than following the angle of the rack and that should give you enough spacing to put rope/ strap or a hook on the rail.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to megatexture For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (19th July 2014), NissanGQ4.2 (19th July 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megatexture View Post
    Mate that's a simple fix, I've cut trailer leaf bushes I had laying around as a spacer to make the awning sit vertical rather than following the angle of the rack and that should give you enough spacing to put rope/ strap or a hook on the rail.
    Thanks mate, i have actually got about 20mm and can work with that but 40mm would have been much easier to live with. I can get a hook on it but i cant pass the hook through that gap. i can tie off from it but its a bit of a pain. I have learned to live with it though. when i travel my Oztent goes on the other side and its not a drama.

If i was going to do it again though i would certainly drop the whole thing down at least 10mm to 20mm lower than the top of the top rail.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries, just one of those annoying little things that's too much effort to change lol.
    I had to do it to mine as when the awning was folded out it was pointing in the air to much and the legs couldn't reach the ground lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megatexture View Post
    No worries, just one of those annoying little things that's too much effort to change lol.
    I had to do it to mine as when the awning was folded out it was pointing in the air to much and the legs couldn't reach the ground lol
    WOW! Really! thats Odd! I can drop mine right down so heavy rain will flow off without any trouble at all.

You are right, its one of those things i will live with probably. Just the first time i went to tie to it i smacked myself in the head for not foreseeing that!! Was a DOH!!! moment!!

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all good now I took the swing out arms off and drilled out the holes to elongate them so I have a big range of movement now and in heavy rain I'll be in the bloody car lol

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to know where you were sitting around out of the sun today, crikey it's cold and windy from a Southerly here in Jervis Bay! I think your south of us ..
    2004 4.2TD ST, Berrima Diesel Injector Tuned, Viper 3" SS exhaust, Cross Country Ultimate Intercooler, Solvaris sound proofing, DigOptions GPS/MMU, 220mm Roo Lights, PIONEER TS-D1602R 6.5" x 4 speakers, Autocar EGT&Boost gauges, Brown Davis 80L Aux, Icom 440, Alloy drawers and cargo barrier, 2" Amanda Extreme / Dobson / PolyAir lift, CSA mags with Toyo ATII tyres, Rhino Pioneer roof rack now with brackets, Performance 4x4 16g Large.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast