Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

DIY Fitting Side and Rear Awnings to Roofrack

Hi Guys,

I have fitted a pair of pull out awnings to my roofrack. I have gone a 2.4m long side awning and a 1.2m long rear awning. I chose ARB for both and got a good deal on the pair from the 4WD Show.

I like the rear awning for making lunch in the sun or the snow or rain. Works great. also have used it to provide shade to the fridge when parked up for a long time at camp too.

Here is a bit of a photo bomb.

So firstly, i fitted these to the rack before i fitted the rack to the roof. so it was a little easier but here it is

So you can see the back bone of the awning is a double slotted aluminium track.

This makes it pretty basic to be honest!

Good instructions in the book.

regardless of the brackets this is fundamentally how they mount! Simple and infinitely adjustable!

The mounting holes are 50mm spacing.

Overall the awning is about 95 to 100mm high when packed up. I then held a socket set at the top of the rack and measured down from there as i wanted the awning to be flush with the top of the top rail of the rack. THis was an error in hindsight and if i fitted it again i would have dropped it down 50mm or so to allow you to use the top rail of the rack to tie down to. Drives me nuts that i cant put a hook on the top rail on that side. VERY IMPORTANT!!

Measure, mark and drill.

The back corner

Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 19th July 2014 at 01:00 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

my third 256 (18th May 2015), NissanGQ4.2 (19th July 2014), skiman (18th May 2015), Woof (11th June 2015)