2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey nowoolies..
    I have read this thread and from the symptoms it sounds like a overcharging problem, however if has been checked several times and is charging fine its unlikely.. without seeing the vehicle its hard to say but sounds more than likely that the battery is cooking itself as shouldn't be losing any fluid if its a sealed battery..
    Possibly worth putting in a heat shield and see what happens and if doesn't change anything I would even try a different brand, possibly like a amptech d70z deep cycle sold by supercharge.. we use these at work and I have put them into all model patrols and never had a problem with them..
    That's my opinion, Sorry couldn't be more help mate

Fletcha
    Qualified Auto-Electrician
    Apprentice Sparky

Dont own a Patrol or any 4WD at the moment, hopefully will change into the future

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys
    ill get a heat shield around the battery see if that works,
    thanks again ...................nissan recon i dont need one
    HELL NO !!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nowoolies View Post
    thanks Tony and Evil
    turbo heat sheild is in place on turbo, no battery heat sheild, voltage is 13.2-5 at terminals , not sure of battery tray, Deerings installed the second battery system.
    the batteries are Exide ,
    as far as loosing a heap of electrolyte via heat, only very, very, wet around the top of battery i dry it off evry day. so far havent replaced any fluid, batteries die before that happens,
    i havent put the 4th battery in not game just yet lol
    OK, Deerings should certainly know what they are doing which only makes it more confusing. Exide should be a reliable battery especially 4 different ones... so something is really odd.

This is a very perplexing problem you have brought to the all knowing Forum... you should be very proud

If the top is "very very wet" every day then the battery must be gassing like a bitch. That is usually only from...
    a shorted cell, can't be that on 3 different batteries, or
    too high a charge voltage but 13.2 to 13.5 is fine as the Battery shouldn't gas until 14.5, and
    that pretty much only leaves internal temperature getting too high.

Have you checked the Charging voltage with the engine at about 2200 to 2500 RPM?

You shouldn't need a heat shield unless the Battery is in a very unusual spot but maybe a Shield will cure your problem. You will know if you cure it because the wet top issue will disappear
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    havent checked voltage with high rpm ill do that in the morning
    as far as battery position its just behind the air filter normal position
    do you know if it is posible to get a battery shield like the one on the main battery with a cooling duct
    for the left hand side ????
    thanks again
    HELL NO !!!!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nowoolies View Post
    havent checked voltage with high rpm ill do that in the morning
    as far as battery position its just behind the air filter normal position
    do you know if it is posible to get a battery shield like the one on the main battery with a cooling duct
    for the left hand side ????
    thanks again
    Dunno mate. My cranker battery shield is loooong gone (PIA does more harm than good IMHO) and I have yet to see a Patrol with a shield on the Aux
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    sorry (maybe) daft question alert!!!!!!!! But what's a deep cycle battery????

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clunk71 View Post
    sorry (maybe) daft question alert!!!!!!!! But what's a deep cycle battery????
    Not a daft Q at all...

Deep Cycle batteries have less plates so they don't deliver as much current but the plates they do have are thicker so they can handle being discharged to a lower level and recharged more often than a standard cranking battery.

So for hi current but only small discharge then a top up like starting the car then a cranker is required and for lo current but long term slow discharge then a large recharge like running a fridge overnight then recharging it the next day (or after several days) a deep cycle is better.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Not a daft Q at all...

Deep Cycle batteries have less plates so they don't deliver as much current but the plates they do have are thicker so they can handle being discharged to a lower level and recharged more often than a standard cranking battery.

So for hi current but only small discharge then a top up like starting the car then a cranker is required and for lo current but long term slow discharge then a large recharge like running a fridge overnight then recharging it the next day (or after several days) a deep cycle is better.

Thanks for that ET, very much appreciated mate. Damn I love this forum

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Not a daft Q at all...

So what the hell are all those D cells doing lined up under my bonnet??? LOL!! (not a hijack!! lol)

Let us know how you go mate with the revs up for what charge you are getting - for what it's worth after all the above, I'm going heat.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast