Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Batteries

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Batteries

i have just got my 4th deep cycle battery in 1 year ......yesterday , the nissan is 1 year old now.
    the first one ruptured cost the battery mob $5000.00 acid all over the place vehilce had 85 klms on the clock.................... wasnt happy.
    next one split around the top seal , caught it just in time.
    next one leaking ot the top
    lord only knows whats gunna happen with n/o 4
    any one else have battery problems like this
    all batteries are from the same mob just differant styles all deep cycle, just for the fridge ect.
    the battery rack is up from the turbo as usual
    the system is a redarc and been replaced just in case, and tested half a dozen times no problems with over voltage ect,
    the battery mob say its the car but keep replacing under warrenty
    any ideas please
    nowoolies
    Paul
    HELL NO !!!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Havnt got a clue mate
    ive had my deepcycle battery for nearly 2yrs now
    have a redarc as well no problems with it
    just running fridge and lights

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Roofy For This Useful Post:

nowoolies (17th February 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better change your supplier

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they getting too hot?
    Is there some form of heat sheild?
    After a good drive pop the bonnet and carefully feel the side of the battery, see if it is really hot.
    Western Patrol Club member #27
    2.8TD GU --> The Red Rocket

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RustyNails For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What brand of deep cycle, Cobber?

If it is one of the better brands I find it very unusual that you have had 3 failures and extremely unusual that they would blame the car but still happily replace batteries (if it is the car that is).

If you are doing limited off road IE no bumps, bangs and corrugations then I would get my money back rather than a new battery and run a mile to another brand if the cases are letting go like that.

Deep cycles do like a slightly different charging regime than a standard cranker BUT the differences are so small that it is almost immaterial
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What type of deep cycle batteries? Wet or AGM/Gel? If wet, is there a possibility you have been overfilling them? It's the only thing I can think of in addition to the possibility of them getting too hot. I've had deep cycle AGM's (Fullrivers 2 x DC150 & 2 x DC90) in our bus for 5 years now, & hope to get another 5 years before they need replacing.

Cuppa

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    none of the above guys
    i have been 4x4ing once in 12 months and that was in gnagarra pines last week end ,and then only need 4x4 when i got bogged 500 mtrs from the road, hahahahahaha havent been able to drive since i ran into a cow 14 months ago
    so the 4x4 has only been playing toorack tractor for the last year , with the cook driving 95% of the time
    i have never put fluid in any of the batteries , they have all been wet cells , the first one 650 cca was supposed to be totally sealed, second one 620 cca and capped, 3rd one 575 cca and capped ,all deep cycle , dont know if too ethical to mention the brand,
    and as far as my memory goes the Engel has only been run a few times when the cook goes and does a large shop.
    no off road work bumps ect,
    getting slightly peved with the situation jut wondered if any one else with a late model Nissan was having the same problem.
    HELL NO !!!!!!

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most common reason for batteries spilling out the top is overcharging. Batteries don't like too much heat either so being close to the turbo is probably not helping.
    It's a bit unusual that your batteries are rated by CCA, cold cranking amps is a starting battery rating. Deep cycle batteries are normally rated in A/H (amp hours)
    We use Trojan batteries (wet and gel) in the machines we sell/service and get a good run out of them, but they are not subject to the same amount of heat as what yours are.

Tony

13. The Following User Says Thank You to YNOT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm with Tony in that something doesn't gel. (excuse the pun).

Feel free to mention the brand and type of battery... we can't help you if you don't.

I don't quite see how you can be overcooking them with charging if they are wets as it should be taking out the cranker at least a couple of times as well and you mention that you checked the Voltage... what Voltage are you seeing across the Aux terminals with the engine running and Redarc connected ?

If it was temp related you should be loosing a heap of electrolyte rather than the cases letting go. What battery tray are you using ARB, in the standard position, Turbo heatshield in place?

We use our Engel a few times a week and again no issues nor should there be.

Just about every Nissan has their Aux in the same spot as it's just about the only place to put it. I am running Supercharge Allrounders thru a Redarc which aren't the Rolls Royce of batteries but also are not crap and have had not one iota of problems.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Tony and Evil
    turbo heat sheild is in place on turbo, no battery heat sheild, voltage is 13.2-5 at terminals , not sure of battery tray, Deerings installed the second battery system.
    the batteries are Exide ,
    as far as loosing a heap of electrolyte via heat, only very, very, wet around the top of battery i dry it off evry day. so far havent replaced any fluid, batteries die before that happens,
    i havent put the 4th battery in not game just yet lol
    HELL NO !!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast