Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ute is packed

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leaving Thursday towards northern QLD .. is there any room left ?
    2004 4.2TD ST, Berrima Diesel Injector Tuned, Viper 3" SS exhaust, Cross Country Ultimate Intercooler, Solvaris sound proofing, DigOptions GPS/MMU, 220mm Roo Lights, PIONEER TS-D1602R 6.5" x 4 speakers, Autocar EGT&Boost gauges, Brown Davis 80L Aux, Icom 440, Alloy drawers and cargo barrier, 2" Amanda Extreme / Dobson / PolyAir lift, CSA mags with Toyo ATII tyres, Rhino Pioneer roof rack now with brackets, Performance 4x4 16g Large.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those fuel consumption figures sound incredible!

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard52 View Post
    A quick update. Arrived in Weipa this afternoon so will stay a few days and down load photos from camera to laptop and will upload something then. Some young blokes in a GQ were saying how bad road is but I thought most of it was excellent. Not like 30 years ago in west Qld. I am running at max GVM + with full fuel and water on board but am amazed at fuel consumption. Started off at 14.07 lt/100 from Hervey Bay to Mackay (non stop as I have done that trip probably 100 times before) then 13.07 to Mareeba then 12.12 back to Mareeba after doing some side trips out to Chillago ( nearly all bitumen) then 11.85 from Mareeba to Cooktown and all the way here to Weipa which is mainly good gravel and some sealed. Only 1 accident with a pajero rolled near Archer River but all ok. cheers for now from a beach campsite at Weipa Peter
    Wow, what tyres you running on, size make pattern.
    I know when I put bigger tyres on, fuel consumption went way up.
    Although I never even got that low when it was standard brand new.
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,713 Times in 2,489 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    look forward to some pics and a write up mate.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another quick update as beer in fridge is cold .

Now at beachfront camp site at Loyalty Beach not bad but Pennefather River down near Weipa is better. Bastard of a track to get to but definitely worth it. Stayed a few days but when I was watching a croc watch me only 20 ft away while fishing, thought it was time to move on.

In reply to tyres, I am still running Bridgestone Dulers 265's (694) and not a problem on dirt and sand so far. Overall the road is good by my standards with a few bad spots especially north of Jardine River barge which cost $129 for just me.

Will probably stay here or close by for a few days so will get some photos organised now I have phone reception.

cheers

Peter
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Those fuel consumption figures sound incredible!
    Hi Cuppa.

Yes I am impressed as well. Figure dropped a bit when in the sand 16.something from memory but should be better again on the dirt from Weipa to Bamaga. Will update when I refuel in a few days.

Pete at Hervey Bay Diesel had a fiddle with the pump just before I left and it is magic.

Admittedly I am only doing 90/95 on bitumen and up to 80/85 on dirt

cheers

Peter
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    These threads are so depressing for us Victorians sob sob
    Hi 3D

You must be the only one left in the state as most of the plates up here are from down there.

If you leave, don't to forget to turn off all the lights for the state.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyInAuz View Post
    Leaving Thursday towards northern QLD .. is there any room left ?
    Not much room left in camp grounds, but I'm sure some will have left by time you get there.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another update.

The strong winds and showers every day chased me away after the visit to the tip.

Stayed at Punsand Bay for a few days and it is definitely the pick of the camp grounds. $15 per day for just me and the ute. Good facilities and spacious sites so you are not in everyone's pocket but food and grog expensive. It seems a beer gets 50c a can dearer each roadhouse to the north. $6.50 at Punsand Bay.

Have headed south west to Normanton where I worked 40 years ago in the old Bank of New South Wales. Building is exactly the same but internal refit makes it better to work in.

Travelled from Musgrave Roadhouse via the "New Dixie" road to Dunbar station -about 200klm to save a round trip via the Tablelands and back to Chillagoe of about 600 extra klm's The Council at each end are doing some work on the Dixie road but the 30 of 40 klm in the middle are a bit ordinary. It took over 7 hours to do 400 klm so I camped over night at the Gilbert River which was great as I had it to myself except for heaps of birds, kangaroos, heaps of cattle in the distance and 4 little pigs. The crossing over the Mitchell River is good with rubber matting on the approaches and the whole river bed.

Anyone going to the Cape should consider going either or both ways via this road as it is pretty boring going up the coast road to Cairns. The dirt roads in the Carpentaria Shire are mostly excellent and had to go back to 2wd drive as the surface was so hard and smooth. Used 4wd high range for all other dirt as it made handling so much easier.

From Weipa to the Tip and back to Musgrave roadhouse fuel was out to 12.8 lit/100k so put new air filter in yesterday morning as I noticed EGT's a little higher so when I refuel tomorrow to go to Lawn Hill, I expect it to improve again.

No premium diesel north of Cooktown so remember that if you need it.

Fuel costs are dearer the further north you go- Bamaga $2.45, Bramwell Junction $2.10, Musgrave $1.88 and Weipa $1.66. Hard to fathom as the fuel barge go to Bamaga then to Weipa which is obviously further south. Speaking of Weipa, had to do oil change so went to Shell servo where the old dear was great but the "mechanic" in the shed needs a bit of something. I walked in the door and said "mate, I need to do oil change in the Patrol" He replied come back 3 weeks tomorrow. "Thanks mate" I said as I walked out the door. I had 10 lt of good old Penrite in the back so I did change myself into an old bucket and refilled containers and dumped the whole lot at the Weipa dump on way out of town. Suggest you carry your own oil for such an occasion.

Photos will have to wait until I get back to real world as I can't remember how to upload them. Have done it before but will have to learn again

cheers from Normanton.

Peter

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another good report Peter, thanks.

We enjoyed Chillagoe, but didn’t travel the Dixie Rd.
    Unless the grader has been in during the past 10 days or so, you can expect some good corrugations going out to Lawn Hill. For us it was worth every jolt - we took an hour to drive between Adels Grove & Lawn Hill Gorge (& if I remember correctly this was where we named the deep corrugations ‘Boob Shakers’. It was an interesting & fun drive). We were there in later October, very hot, but we had the whole of Lawn Hill to ourselves for a week except for a couple of day trippers. Also had our own 2 seater inflatable Kayak - Sevylor (anyone want to buy it) & spent a night camped up on alongside the tufa waterfall further up the gorge. Magic place.
    http://www.cuppa500.com/_Big_Trip/En..._________.html

If they still allow it, make sure you spend a night or two camped down at the river at Gregory Downs too. This is one of the best camps in Oz (at least it was for us, again had it to ourselves). Clear warm waist deep running water under shade, & lined with Paperbarks & Pandanus ( & rare Purple Crested Fairy Wrens).

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast