Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Ute is packed

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm absolutely gobsmacked by the amount of vans north of the NSW border!!! We are north of Cooktown now and there is a little bit of a let up.
    Just amazing ...
    2004 4.2TD ST, Berrima Diesel Injector Tuned, Viper 3" SS exhaust, Cross Country Ultimate Intercooler, Solvaris sound proofing, DigOptions GPS/MMU, 220mm Roo Lights, PIONEER TS-D1602R 6.5" x 4 speakers, Autocar EGT&Boost gauges, Brown Davis 80L Aux, Icom 440, Alloy drawers and cargo barrier, 2" Amanda Extreme / Dobson / PolyAir lift, CSA mags with Toyo ATII tyres, Rhino Pioneer roof rack now with brackets, Performance 4x4 16g Large.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all

Back home a couple of weeks early for a couple of reasons but will slip over to Fraser on Saturday to make up as I hear the tailor are on the chew.

After I left Normanton which I preferred over Karumba which is just a pro fisherman and tourist destination headed down to Burke & Wills roadhouse and then to Gregory Downs where I had tea and many beers at the pub. I had been there back in 1970 when transferred by the bank to Mt Isa and it looks the same but camping ground out the back was ok. Down in the river, there were hundreds of vans so I gave it a miss and just stayed out back of the pub. Then off to Lawn Hill which was so green compared to further north and later further south. Climbed every mountain and walked most of the trails and got some good photos to upload soon. Quite a few people around but camp grounds and facilities are excellent.

Decided then to head towards the Isa so on road out of Lawn Hill turned right to go via Riversleigh where they have found fossils etc. This would save another few hundred kilometres via Burke and Wills and Cloncurry. The road to Riversleigh did more damage to the tyres than the rest of the trip combined. Very rocky so slow going. Got to the display building at Riversleigh and was talking to the only other vehicle I saw until meeting the Gregory Downs/Camoweal road. They were in a Disco 4 V6TD and he was complaining about how bad the road was from Camoweal so I thought I was in for a slow trip. After crossing the Gregory River a few times I was looking for the bad road. It was not flash but that bloke had no idea what he was in for from Riversleigh to Lawn Hill. Hope he made it as he had the low profile tyres. The road to Camoweal was average until the 1st turn off to the Isa but deteriorated after that. I wanted to go to Camoweal and the NT border for the photo as there isn't much else there.

Mt Isa is just as I remember it from September 71 when I was transferred out. Dry, dusty and to an outsider, a bit depressing now. I had a great time back then and had my 21st birthday there and still have contact with several good friends from that time. Great memories. The Barkly Hotel was the main entertainment venue. Next stop was Cloncurry and then the famous Walkabout Creek Hotel in Mckinlay. New owners earlier this year and good camping facilities just out the back door of the pub. All I had to do was fall down 3 steps at the back door and 10 paces to the ute so very convenient. Good beer, good food and great "vibe" and friendly staff and locals.

By this time I was committed to heading home but had to stop at Longreach to see the Qantas museum. Fantastic and will definitely return there and spend a whole day there.

Next stop was Duaringa west of Rocky at the free camp site. Next morning there was a pie van so lashed out and bought a "breakfast pie" and a cup of tea. Best pie ever with meat, bacon, cheese and a whole fried egg under the top. Amazing how you remember insignificant things.

South to Biloela, Monto, Mt Perry and Childers to see the bird aviary and then home.

Almost 8,000 klm at average 13.23 lt/100k so very impressed with that.

Will upload some photos and do a build thread when I get back form Fraser early next month

cheer

Peter
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wizard52 For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (20th August 2014)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123