Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turbo on a 1988 TD42

Hey Guys

Ok, so today i just purchased my second Nissan patrol, its a 1988 TD42 GQ wagon. it has 408kms on the clock, 2inch lift, dual batteries, snorkel, bullbar, roof rack & a thompson winch. Was driving it around and i noticed that, even unladen, its a bit sluggish on the hills. i was thinking a turbo kit may improve on this problem. I have little mechcanical knowledge, although my father has 40 years worth, and thus i am looking for a turbo kit that is economical on the hip pocket, easy to install and give me a bit of extra boost when climbing. I have done some browsing online and i like the DTS kit, although the safari one also seems nice. Could anyone reccommend a kit that fits these criteria?

the second part of this question is about intercoolers, are they nesscary, do they offer any significant improvement to performance given the cost of them. If i were to get one, i would get a top mounted one rather than front mounted, if is were to do this, how would i mount it, where would the aircleaner box go?, how would i put a scoop in the bonnet?, are there any rubber seasl i can get to seal the intercooler to the scoop?

If anyone has done something similar can offer some sage words of wisdom, it would be much appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have the DTS kit from MTQ on my GQ and reckon its great
    Especially as an everyday car, the intercooler is nice and allows you to tune up for more performance as you can increase the fuel and still control your exhaust temps.

If your not looking for Wild then Go the turbo first and see how you like it before spending another 2k on an IC setup.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Grizly256

I too have a GQ TD42 except mine is a 1989 .

In 1992 I fitted on of these http://www.dencodiesel.com/nissan-pa...ssan-td42.html and am still driving it. The unit does deliver 35 to 40 % more power and makes the Patrol much nicer to drive. I also tow a little under 2.5 tonnes to and from boat ramps.

After the turbo was fitted the Patrol runs up and down hills with the cruise control and I no longer need to worry about gear changing which pre turbo was necessary. In fact on long rises even with the trailer or boat one often had to drop back to 3rd. Not fun and no longer.

My pump was set up when the turbo went on and apart from some new "o" rings that were needed after they took the sulphur out of the fuel has not been changed or touched.

If you too get the right person to help you fit and tune your pump you too could have a similar outcome. 23 odd years and counting.

Where are you located by the way?

Cheers
    Chimo